New Crackdown or Short Blip?

Gadfly

just that, it was a opinion piece and not reposted in the web version, Nation or post I forget, but it stated that interest rates from the loan sharks was cappedd by Thaksin at 18%, as soon as the coup went on, it rose to 20%. It made a very strong opinion that loan shark people involved somehow, quite a daring article I thought.

DGo

I didn't see the article, but I heard about loan sharking rates going up from a girl I know. She works in a place where the owners allegedly engage in a bit of loan sharking.

I am not sure what to make of this "crackdown". I haven't been to Soi Cowboy (and I therefore don't know if they are showing or not) and I won't have another chance to stay out late for awhile (work), but from what I have seen it is very very uneven. some places are affected while you wouldn't know anything had changed in other places.

Digressing from nightlife for a second, the recent change has created a tremendous amount of uncertainity - more than I expected. This is one of the reasons I am so busy (it's not really productive work; more like dousing fires).

As for the nightlife scene, if anyone else has been out late recently or been to Soi Cowboy, I would be interested in hearing about what is happening now. My sense is that things are very unpredictable now, and it can quickly change from the very relaxed scene we saw immediately after the coup to something very different. But I am not sure if this government can mount the broad across-the-board crackdowns the prior government began shortly after it took power (and even those crackdowns were less than they puported to be).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the move from the Big Mango to Sillypore because of recent events or part of something else? I am often accused of having the negative attitude here, but my own view is that many foreingers - and surprisingly many in the business community outside of Thailand - have over-reacted to recent events and are reading too much into a few casual statements that have been made about economic policy. I will leave it at that.

Good to hear that things in that nightlife area are returning to normal.

Purely based upon recent events, they wanted to expand their operations, from 5 to 20 staff. They decidede Sillypore because of the coup, in fact the coup was the coup de grass, the final cut, Sillypore is so much easier to get wrk permits etc, but Bangkok closer to customer base,

I think over reaction, but there you go, thats what eUROPEANS THINK OF COUPS

Gadfly,

Was in Cowboy this past Sunday night. Closed at 2. Must say Cowboy was rocking and many bars showing or at least having sexy outifts. Some good bars and ladies about. One bar in particular I thought was really nice, many many pretty ladies, lots of them actually dancing or at least doing an animated BG shuffle. Plenty of young lookers compared to what I have seen in loads of bars lately. Not any/many porkers in this bar. Had fun, drank too mutt really, but we started fairly early (8-ish) and the night seemed endless and the drinks mild in effect, until about 1:30. :D Must've been those last couple of tequila shots. :beer::nono:

Long Gun was tame, and I thought the women sub-par really, although the splits and slamming of the bootheels on the bar wood was somewhat interesting. Shark's was great!!! (I highly recommend them--or maybe just a good night? :dunno: ) Midnight was fun as well, my friends were acting up and our booth was decidedly raunchy. Was upstairs in Baccarra ????, the Isaan midgets were doing their thing and the dancing was lively and 'perky', or jiggly? :) Had a great steak to start out at Sam's 2000. Decent meat there and I'd go back as a start to an evening. (Always line the gut if you are going to drink a bit. Works for me.)

All in all a pleasant evening in Cowboy, no real police presence (and certainly no bother at all), no hooligans (although some strange cunts were seen!) and the place was about as good as I have seen it the past couple of years. Might've been the company I was keeping? :smirk:

Just thought I'd add a Cowboy perspective since I was just there.

Was in Pattaya the next night on Soi 7 after dinner with friends and it was the MOST maddening experience I've had to date with the fucking hawkers and gum kids!!!!! They were driving me to distraction and it was the WORST experience I've ever had sitting in a bar anywhere in Thailand in my many years here now. There were what seemed to be hundreds of these pests constantly poking me and shoving their wares in my face as I was trying to speak with my friends and enjoy a drink or two. It totally sucked. The bar owners really need to get these pests out of their bars and away from their customers. It was ridiculous. :cussing::banghead: :onfire: :down::(:boxing::spank::redflag:

Cent

Chuck,

I was definitely NOT giving off Jai Dee vibes after the first 15 minutes of this! And it was not just me, they were going after everybody sitting in the bar, especially the tables and chair area in front of the bar. My friends and our wives all commented on it and it became unbearable. I've never seen it this bad. Thing was they were not easily put off, and many/most of them were poking people in the shoulder if they were being ignored. It was more than just irritating.

Cent

Cent > Was upstairs in Baccarra ????, the Isaan midgets were doing their thing and the dancing was lively and 'perky', or jiggly?<

Jiggly! Yes upstairs Baccarat, where I often go to start an evening, love the bounce on the rythm o that terrible music they play. Some very cute, all very small, OK for looking, to young for use IMHO.

Pleased to know you had a nice night in SC, Look fwd to my one night there Friday next week. Long time no BKK visit, getting itchy.

Archived