New Crackdown or Short Blip?

Gadfly

To put this in context, NEP had been closing around 2 am and most of the afterhours places (at least the places I visited) were open long past closing hours. This appears to have changed over the last several days. This is what I saw and heard last night (Saturday):

- NEP closed sometime between between around 12:30 am and around 1:40 am. I was otherwise occupied when this happened so I cannot say exactly when, but it was definitely dark when I passed by around 1:40 am and the stream of humanity that poors through NEP's entance at closing times had clearly started before I passed by.

- The BG who was keeping me occupied when NEP must have closed told me that for the last two days (before Saturday) NEP had been closing at 1 am. She had no idea why.

- There was an unusually large and very visible police presence around NEP last night.

- Some non go go bars were open until 2 am and the service staff at Q Bar said they stay open until 2 am. I wasn't able to test Q Bar's claim, but I did visit one Soi 4 bar that was visibly open until just a bit after 2 am and walked past another bar that was dark but still obviously going at 2 am. I am pretty sure both of these are Thai owned.

- The more vertically visible afterhours venue on Soi 4 was closed at 2 am even though at least one Thai owned place nearby (the dark place I mentioned) was still going. A bit unusual in my experience.

- A less visible and harder to find afterhours place within easy walking distance of NEP was open very late. I have been told by several dek-serves who work there that the place is owned by the MiB and I saw some soft evidence of this last night, but I cannot confirm.

- There are a tremendos number of girls and Farangs out along Sukhumvit at 4 am. It really is amazing. The party clearly continues on Sukhumvit after hours totally unrestricted.

- After hours, walking the streets of Sukhumvit, I also saw many girls who, IMHO, are far too young for the p4p trade making also sorts of offers. I guess this is what happens when bars are forced to close early but the party, naturally enough, continues in uncontrolled venues where no one is accountable for what happens.

As the title to this thread suggests, I really don't know if this is the beginning of a crackdown or a short blip. I also have no information on Soi Cowboy. Since some members think the MiB or other authorities actually read this site, I have kept some of references a bit vague (I think there is about a 1% chance that this occurs, but in an abundance of caution and to avoid complaints I won't name any names.) If anyone has further information, post away :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all I can say is that for the first time ever last week I saw police rounding up freelancers along suk rd & soi 4 suspposedly for street hooking.

it didn't stop most for continuing their 'trade', but more than a few walked around a bit more nervous & aimless than usual & police kept being visible all over the place...

but how the fuck do they think any such effort are gonna work at all with the suk freak show so huge & ignored as it is?

Regarding the easy reached less visible afterhour place now charging 160bt entry I think it was main attracting perhaps being the water pipes & kebab on offer ;)

Well busy & exciting is exxaggerating!!!

Don't know about the crackdown, as I'm not in town now, but was in Bangkok following the change of government and found it more relaxed than its been for a few years - many afterhours options especially, which I appreciate. MiB present at several, some in uniform, some not. Always makes me a little nervous, but when they're having a whiskey at 6 am, I guess they're not really posing much of a threat. Hope there's no crackdown on the horizon - it's nice to see Bangkok getting back to Fun City status!

the after 2.am street bars along suk&vomit soi 5 - ~15 are not 'seeling' alkohol open.

there have been few "cocktail" bars, where you could see all the different kind of spirits, they are now gone or you will see only water, soda water on display.

the food hawkers with their table and chairs still exists. you can order beer as well but not more open to drink from the bottle, they will give you a big plastic cup.

for nep, was closed down on wednesday 1 am. tuesday and thursday 2 am. saturday2 am.

and because drinking beer form plastic cup is not that big fun we went to that disco clubs upstairs 7/1 and 11 - both open.

not that big forceful crackdown at all, just on the street police patrolling and make the beer sellers little bit nervous.

lets see what the next week will bring. i often work until very late, so that that 2am street beer will be my first - an after work refreshment, along with grabbing some food 24h o'brians or subway. or do the weekly shopping at foodland (night time best time to do that, daytime to much traffic).

I will investigate and report back..

***dons cap and pipe***

Sir,

I believe I speak for all of us when I say thank you for the "tireless efforts" you have "put into" your "investigations." Good luck and god speed! Your report is anxiously awaited.

just that, it was a opinion piece and not reposted in the web version, Nation or post I forget, but it stated that interest rates from the loan sharks was cappedd by Thaksin at 18%, as soon as the coup went on, it rose to 20%. It made a very strong opinion that loan shark people involved somehow, quite a daring article I thought.

DGo

Archived