Government Targets American Bloggers As Enemy Propagandists

Fidel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take. First, I have long since given up any notion that we (Americans) are as free as we think we are. Not just since Bush but for years now we have slowly eroded the freedoms that we formed the nation with. I also can totally understand those non Americans who can't understand why Americans don't see the harm we do and throw their hands up in the air. I do the same about things I see other countries as well.

However, I will say this. EVERY country has some issues that those from the outside look in amazement as to why its citizens don't change things. What makes the situation in America different is America's power in the world, militarily, econoimically, politically and culturally. If the same exact thing happend in Sweden no one would care except the few Swedes who wonder why their countrymen don't see it.

I've been fortunate to visit and learn about a great many countries and suffice to say, there are probably greater personal freedoms in America than most western nations. There are some things in England (the prevalence of CCTV, domestic spying, rules of evicence, etc.) that wouldn't be put up with in America. I'm sure if I studied Germany, France or Holland enough I could find things that they allow which most Americans wouldn't stand for. Although 99.9% of Americans abhor the nazi flag and totally hate its message, we see it as an affront of personal rights to tell someone they can't have one which is against the law in Germany as an example.

Like most countries that go down the slippery slope of eroding civil liberties, etc. nothing usually happens till its either too late or damn close to being too late. America is no different.

Well put!

It wasn't so long ago that it was illegal in Germany to use a "non-approved" modem or telephone or fax.

This was just a big scam to try to force you to buy the 5 X's more expensive phone/modem/fax, etc.

This was a huge crush to the personal freedoms in Germany...and made for a nice blackmarket for these products :rolleyes:

Or how about the German government forcing businesses to close a certain times? We used to go to Venlo, Holland to shop because the shops in Germany, by law, had to close at 6 PM.

Just examples, nothing nasty toward Germany, as they have outstanding beer, ladies, etc.

Same-same, but a little different in other countries.

The USA is the big boy, so when he falls down (screws up), there is a big thud.

Fidel-

I agree its disgusting.I feel Bush is ruining our country,our image and our reality.

However may I kindly ask you a question is there anything at all you like about the states?

Just curious... :)

The Simpsons, Southpark, Some of the music, movies, authors etc, the people. I'm just against the regime and the seemingly sheep-like nature of many of the people.

About the business times in Germany,

there is only 1 reason for it. If there weren't restrictions the giant stores would destroy the small stores because they couldn't afford to pay the staff for 24 hours. We have many of these small Shops and it is hard enough for them to survive, the government is protecting them which is a good thing to do!

Stores are open to 8pm and of course it would be nice if they were open longer but Germans are so used ot it, there would be a huge drop in sales after 8 pm, it would take years to get people change their routines. You only miss what you had before, since we never had it we don't miss it!

Also it is not a restriction to steal the freedom, we are a social state where the government is taking care of you. Nobody here has to die from hunger or hast to live on the street, everybody gets medical treatments, the system has millions of flaws but it is still better than having nothing!

I remember being cooped up in a cold platoon bay in basic training at effing Fort Ord, wondering how free my country really was when the government could send me a letter telling me I was going into the Army -- and that they were going to do anything they wanted with me for the next two years, including sending me off to foreign countries where people would try to kill me. My only alternative was to go into a federal prison instead. While I realise the necessity of a military, it did still smack a bit of "involuntary servitude" to me, and that was banned by the US Constitution in 1865!

:dunno:

Archived