Good deal for DTAC users

mongatu

I thought maybe some people would find this interesting. Nosing around the web, I recently discovered a pretty good deal for DTAC users. In fact you might even consider it worthwhile to switch to DTAC for this, at least I would.

Basically you go to their web site, http://sonic2.dtac.co.th:8005/bp3/bin/DpromptIndex?lang=E and fortunately they have this part of their site in pretty good English now and you can register for "Web Services" which is FREE. Once you have registered you can view your current promotion, available promotions, switch promotions (mostly for free, although the site will inform you if/when there is a fee involved).

You can also check your itemized bill online even if you are a prepay customer, and do several other useful things.

Using this service I just signed up for a promotion, only available online as far as I know, (since the DTAC store reps knew nothing about it) with no promotion switching charge, that allows me to make calls at .25 baht per min with the first min costing only 2 baht, 24 hrs per day, if I understood the promotion correctly. Time will tell I guess. Anyway, they also they have another FREE thing you can register for online called "Happy Savings" that basically gives you a bonus of 100 extra baht calling credit automatically applied to your account every three months starting from the date you register for this free program.

Another thing you can do once registered on the web services site is if you have refill cards, you can use them to refill from online rather than from your phone. Presumably this would work even when you are no longer in Thailand, although since I haven't tested this feature, I am not 100% certain the refill service will work if your phone is not connected to the DTAC network at the time you try to do it. Anyway, DTAC has another cool promotion for people who go away from Thailand for long periods of time and that is a promotion that charges you a flat 2 baht per minute for calls but gives you one year of validity regardless of how much or little baht credit you have on your account. So for someone who was planning to leave for several months, you could switch to this promotion online just before leaving and switch back online to a better promotion just before or after returning to Thailand, keeping your sim valid for up to a year while you are away without spending a lot of money.

Anyway, I thought it all was pretty cool and pretty much blows current AIS plans away as far I know, except AIS has cheaper GPRS/EDGE data plans so I have a separate AIS sim just for that which I'm using to connect my laptop to the internet from wherever I may find myself in Thailand. Works pretty well too with my EDGE capable Nokia phone operating as a USB modem. (Although it's far slower than a landline ADSL connection which I would have if I was staying longer in one place). Cost is only 535 baht per month for 240 hours per month of connection time using AIS's "net sim." They also have other good plans for less heavy and more heavy internet users.

Don't know if this applies to you but the site sometimes doesn't work so well with Firefox. I think I had to use internet explorer to register originally. After that I have been accessing the site pretty well with FF2.0.

But I just tried it and the site seems to be down this evening as I can't get in either with either FF or IE. I did access it earlier today so they may be doing maintenance or having technical problems. Try it again tomorrow.

Another link to their English site is http://www.happy.co.th/en/service/center_1003/index.php

and then you click on the "services" menu and then "web services" but that link is also down at the moment.

Also for the "Happy Savings Program" I described above, here's a working link at least for that aspect of what I described above. http://www.happy.co.th/en/service/happy_savings/index.php

All the links are working again for me now as of 2:30 p.m. in Thailand on Nov. 2, 06.

Btw, I logged into my DTAC account and checked to see if they made any changes to the promotions during the period the site was down. They do seem to have made some changes. I don't see the very nice plan I got the other day being offered any more, but that might be because I already have it and maybe it's only showing me my other alternatives. I hope they didn't do away with that 2 baht/.25 baht plan because that is the best thing I've seen lately. Anyway, the site confirms that I already/still got it, but the site doesn't tell me when the promotion expires. For all I know, it might only last till the end of the year. But at least with this site, you can keep checking to verify what you have which is important because DTAC has a habit of arbitrarily putting you into some other promotion when your current promotion expires without telling you. Also with this site you can more easily choose from the best of whatever is currently available.

• 1 month later...

I have been on the Happy 2 baht/.25 baht plan for some time and just got an SMS from Happy offering me a 3 baht/.50 baht plan!

My Mrs got offered a new Happy GPRS plan of 42baht per day per one time or more usage. This is now the cheapest Happy GPRS one day option? Mine is still the same as voice calls so 2baht minimum vs 42baht??

Archived