Nurses Reputation

happyfarang2547

Why are you using the past tense? The immigration of health professionals from the PI to the USA continues. Nurses, doctors, and physical therapists are occupations that allow quick and easy immigration status to the USA.

Now teachers from the PI are being recruited by public schools in the USA.

The reason i used past tense was i was sharing my experience i had with them 15 years ago.

I caanot comment on the present because things change, i am out of that loop, and i don't know if that trend continues today..

Good to hear then as they were mostly hard and competent workers. The only thing that our patients compained about was their english skills which now after being in asia the last 7 years seems to be superior to that of other asian country nurses...

I am closer to the thai nursing scene and boy if they could get to the level of PI nuring english skils they might even have a chance to take the required tests (nursing and english) which would open doors for working in america.

But I have some theories of why thai nurssing doesn't backfill the US perceived nursing shortage (assuming its as acute as it was in the 80/90's?)

CB

Just spent a week in three Kaiser Hospitals in the SF bay Area Nurses were about 70% PI Nurses All of them very good. Asked one them where she learned nursing she learned here. Told me the other older nurses from PI were Doctors back home. don't know if true or not. They were all so professional friendy. Wouldn't even see the comparison between them and the naughty nurses. but then again i just had a heart attack. Drive is way down at this point. and hoping it will come back real soon.

i have to agree with OH.

i have worked with many Filipino nurses for 7 odd Years now and while not are all perfect,i find them better than the British nurses who have qualified in the last few Years.

British Nurses now learn their trade by being taught in Uni's and have very little hands-on experience during their 3 Years training.

many have little experience of talking to patients and i have seen a fall instandards.

of course not all the Filipinos have perfect English and i do see older Patients struggling to understand them.

but they have had to take and pass exams to determine their language,and English language/writing skills.

and the Generic names of Drugs are very different from Country to Country and they have to laern all the different terms.

and don't forget that their life is not always rosy.

they come to the UK and their Families are not allowed to join them for 2 Years,many suffer from the climate change and racial harrassment.

what most of them do is work in Saudi and then move onto the UK and then the world is their oyster.

working for the NHS opens doors in N.America and the Antipodies and they then move on and make the big bucks.

many retire by the age of 45 after building their houses back home and this will be a problem for me in the future.

and of course my GF is a Filipino nurse and the most georgeous Woman on Earth.......

I wonder about the quality of medical care here. I know you can get a nice room in a hospital at a fraction of what it would cost in the US and the nurses may be friendlier and cuter, but how do the medical practitioners compare to US practitioners overall? I live here, and fortunately my need for medical services has been limited (knock on wood), but you never know.

I don't know anything about the quality of Thai medical practitioners or services. But I am familiar with other professionals. In the US, you need to get a Bachelors degree before you become a doctor or lawyer, etc. Here, I think you can directly into a professional school

I am familiar with professionals in the financial and legal sector, and although there certainly are exceptions, I am less than impressed.

In the sectors I am familiar with, a good practitioner needs to be analytical, methodical, challenge assumptions and devise reasonable arguments to advance a position and be willing to be challenged on that position, 'face' be damned. I see very little of that here. Questioning nature? Face and grenjai are more important than analytical ability and forget about questioning authority or assumptions.

When I get an answer to a question, particularly an answer that doesn't make sense, and I probe a bit, it rapidly becomes apparant that "why" is a very rude question to ask. Often the answer to my quesions is that such and such is so because pee X (pee being the term for someone more senior) told him so. And we certainly aren't going to ask pee X, are we? If pee X says 2+2=5, it must be so.

It's a real challenge, but I also suspect it is why I am gainfully employed here. Now, back to the original question: do these same issues matter and do they represent problems with medical services here?

Gadfly,

One could speculate between the quality of care in america compared to thailand. I don't know of any studies that compare an post-industrial country compared to a developing one. I guess the WHO, US AID, CDC orgs produce outcome stats (mortality rates, live births, expectancy rates, etc) but they usually do it by grouping (third world vs third world)....

I think the best if one wishes to get medical care here is to check where your physicians went to medical school and did their residency. This will say a lot about the quality of their medical eduction and training.

To my knowledge, there is only one international accreditation (JACHO) hospital in thailand and that is Bumrungrad. That says a lot in obtaining what JACHO standards acquire but it doesn't necessary guarantee success. One will find bad doctors and other ancillary services even in the best of hospitals and medical staffs...

I do think this wave of medical tourism (which thailand wants) will see many improvements in higher quality, better services and increasing costs (all relative terms).

The bottom line is the value here seems to be very good if one receives customary standard medical care. The costs in america are out of control even if the care meets the expected high standards of expectation.

Interesting times in health cre as it has greast potential to become a global marketplace...

CB

Archived