Dutch to Ban Muslim Veils

preahko

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20738763-1702,00.html

Dutch to ban Muslim veils

By Alexandra Hudson in Amsterdam

November 11, 2006

THE Dutch government has announced that it would seek a way of banning the wearing of burqas and other Muslim face veils in public places, possibly becoming the first European country to impose such a ruling.

The announcement comes at a time when the debate on such veils and whether they prevent Muslims from integrating has gathered momentum across Europe and drawn comments from leaders such as Britain's Tony Blair and Italy's Romano Prodi.

Last December Dutch lawmakers voted in favour of a proposal by far-right politician Geert Wilders to outlaw face-coverings, partly on security grounds, and asked Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk to examine the feasibility of such a ban.

Ms Verdonk said the fact veils were worn for religious reasons could bring new legislation into conflict with Dutch religious freedom laws, but signalled the government would try to find a way around this.

"The cabinet finds the wearing of a burqa undesirable ... but cannot at present enforce a total ban," she said after a cabinet meeting.

Existing legislation already limits the wearing of burqas and other total coverings in public transport or schools, Ms Verdonk said, but the cabinet would discuss imposing as wide a ban as possible next week.

"The government will search for the possibility to provide a ban," her spokeswoman told Reuters.

The Muslim community estimates that only about 50 women in the Netherlands wear the head-to-toe burqa or the niqab, a face veil that conceals everything but the eyes.

The Dutch may have been among the first to legalise cannabis, prostitution and euthanasia â?? earning them a reputation for tolerance â?? but in recent years they have pushed through some of Europe's toughest entry and integration laws.

Social and religious tensions have escalated in the last few years, exacerbated by the murder of film director Theo van Gogh by a Dutch-Moroccan militant in 2004...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are too many holes in this policy i hope the U.K goes a step further and bans all muslims.Im in the opion that many people would welcome a law like this but are to scared to admit it.Before you launch an attack on me ask yourself a question.When on public transport or infact anywhere and you are in close contact with muslims you feel completely safe.They have not help themselves in alienating away from the rest of society.preaching hatered also Islam does say it is not nesscary to cover face completely.The dutch are in there right.Try walking around Riyad preaching hatered to all non belivers of Christ.

Feel very safe when I'm in KL drinking booze at 3am, fondly a lovely breast, and thinking about the wicked things I can do in my hotel room that doesn't ask for her ID with the kinky shit I bought at the sex shop that afternoon.

Try doing that in Thailand!

DOG (Mind you i'd be stoned or have to be stoned to do it in Saudi I guess)

"When on public transport or infact anywhere and you are in close contact with muslims you feel completely safe."

I think its because they dress like ninjas. If I have a connecting flight through Dubai I get that impression... somethings going to kick off.. there's ninjas everywhere...

I was annoyed when some woman was objecting to being asked not to wear the veil while teaching - come on.. it DOES affect how well you can teach, young kids need to see facial expression and eye contact.

I've got nothing against Muslims............I just don't want to sit next to one on a bus :shocked: :smirk:

I dunno about banning the wearing of Bin Bags in the UK, way too soft here......but I was actually thinking of buying a Hoody, sunglasses and a Balaclava :grin: if you can't beat 'em join 'em. :drunk::drunk:

I think so too that most Muslims are nice/sweet ppl till you get in a conflict with them and they can turn a 100 % into a very nasty asshole.

My collegue's son was a friend of one of the terrorist from 9/11. She is a real sharp cunt and always thought this boy to be sooooooooo sweet and heartfelt.........................!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holland has helped make these kind of Muslims since we brought them in in the sixties for 'guest' labor but we never treated them as guests since that is not in our cultural make-up. The promises they got from the Dutch government that they could come for a year and make lots of money were not kept. Most of their salaries went to the pensionholder so they had to stay longer. These guys got kids who carry the burdon of their parents so no wonder they are gonna be reluctant and fuck up. Integration in Holland is a big LAUGH. All groups here are seperated. They dont even speak the same language like colored Americans and Canadians, if you close your eyes many times you cant tell what culture the person comes from. Considering that I live with a foreigner I know how racist Holland is. So to say Holland is so tolerant as in another thread is stated here I cannot agree. The expat communicity is painfully aware of this. Tolerant about grass? Looked down upon and getting blasted on alcohol is preferred and regarded as the norm. In fact the number of coffeeshops have greatly decreased. Holland is not religious. Most ppl dont go to church but are still signed up as Catholics or Protestants. Here lays the problem: Religion (just saw the movie Kingdom of Heaven: how many times Tempeliers or other knights are screaming Its Gods Will just makes it abundantly clear that it is ppl who convaluded the original spiritual teachings. This goes for Christianity as well as Islam and Buddhism...

Archived