how many can speak thai!!

belfastish

I've met some BGs in Pattaya who come from Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala. Of course they're muslims but you must know them for a long time before they admit this, they tell customers they're coming from Phuket and that they're buddhists or christians. :)

fuck yeah, if you were were associated with a group of people known for slicing the heads off buddhist monks and gunning down elementary school teachers, wouldn't you want to distance yourself from such trash?!?

granted, they have a noble cause, which is trying to get freedom from the scum-sucking central thais, who stole their land and annexed them from an independent kingdom that had NOTHING to do with so-called "thailand," but still, that doesn't justify the kind of shit those bastards have perpetrated...

preahko

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, Southern Thai is the hardest of all the languages to understand. Not only are many of the words different, but in the south they speak so quickly and "chop off" a lot of their words.

They do indeed. The fastest talkers in all of thailand.

I spent 3 months on koh chang with a girl from Nakhon Sri Thammmarat and I never noticed that she was originally from the south (we spoke thai all along the way) until she met up with a friend of her`s from the same province, I`ll be damned if I knew what they were talking about. :(

In Lao/isan however, they do not only use different vocabulary but they also change the tones :cussing: but then again it may be an advantage to foreigners, they could claim they are

speaking Lao/isan if they get it wrong :)

cheers

hn

Some examples of Southern Thai:

Mai Pen Rai - Mai Proo

Tham Arai - Tham Proo

Aroy maak - Aroy jaang hoo

laeng dtai?

maybe it is the transliteration but i hear this quite a bit different than you

loy jang hoo (aroy maak)

and the first two more like mai plue or tham plue

and phud arai: laeng phan plue?

<< granted, they have a noble cause, which is trying to get freedom from the scum-sucking central thais, who stole their land and annexed them from an independent kingdom that had NOTHING to do with so-called "thailand," but still, that doesn't justify the kind of shit those bastards have perpetrated...

preahko >>

No, annexed only half of the "independent" kingdom. The scum-sucking Brits annexed the other half.

p.s. I suppose you've read about the attempts to bring Mr T to trial for his actions in the south, plus his "drug war". Rotsa ruck nailing him, but it's a nice thought anyway.

Archived