'Farang' = ATM??

MaakSiDa

What is it with Thais? Over here in Pattaya, always when I use an ATM, I can almost be sure that there is a Thai male on a motorbike, or even a Thai approaching the ATM machine, saying either, "Poor farang..., use ATM...", or "Kaamok...ATM..."

What is going on in their minds? I came up with two possible explanations:

1) They really think Thai = ATM, so no need to use an ATM to get cash!

2) They are disappointeed/angry that they can't steal from the 'farang', as his/her money is in a safe place (bank)...

And no, it's not how I dress, I'm usually better dressed than 98% of the Thais around me (here in Pattaya). I always try to be polite to all people, but Thais, especially males nowadays seem tio be out for a 'fight', with their negative gibberish. (Western friends here in Thailand say the same, so it's not just me!)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is it with Thais? Over here in Pattaya, always when I use an ATM, I can almost be sure that there is a Thai male on a motorbike, or even a Thai approaching the ATM machine, saying either, "Poor farang..., use ATM...", or "Kaamok...ATM..."

1) They really think 'farang' = ATM, so no need to use an ATM to get cash!

2) They are disappointed/angry that they can't steal from the 'farang', as his/her money is in a safe place (bank)...

And no, it's not how I dress, I'm usually better dressed than 98% of the Thais around me (here in Pattaya). I always try to be polite to all people, but Thais, especially males nowadays seem tio be out for a 'fight', with their negative gibberish. (Western friends here in Thailand say the same, so it's not just me!)

I have used ATM"s in Thailand in Pattaya, Bangkok and every other palce in Thailand since the ATM's arrived in Thailand....at least 10 years or so. I have NEVER NEVER had the same experience you have.

I have lived here in Thailand 2 weeks a month for many many years, I guess I'm just lucky

1) They really think Thai = ATM, so no need to use an ATM to get cash!

2) They are disappointeed/angry that they can't steal from the 'farang', as his/her money is in a safe place (bank)...

I too have never, ever heard of such a thing. perhaps you're misunderstanding what they're saying in Thai? and maybe it's not about you at all...

preahko

I have never had this said to me? Maybe a Pattaya thing?

No it's not and yes maybe it is not the way he dresses, maybe something else about him that causes out this reaction. I have used an ATM machine more than 100 times this year and I have never been treated disrespectful, offensive or anything else that is suppused to bother me! Maybe my mototorbike is too much better than their scooters or maybe it is my look that resembles "eating mamasoup for 2 months" if the make me too much trouble :dunno:

you seem to feel the need to mention "how strong you look" in almost every thread you post in, haha...

I'm not doubting you, good for you and all that, but in the interest of your continued health please keep in mind that this is thailand, and the following realities exist:

1. no thai man fights a farang one on one. if you ever get in a fight with a thai (working class thai), the nearest 5-10 (or more) thai males will jump in

2. thai "working class" males are by and large a lazy, worthless lot, but there's one thing most of them have put some serious work into: training in muay thai, arguably the most effective martial art on the planet

...you can draw your own conclusions...!!

preahko

Archived