Taxi from Suk to airport

rchapstick

I've figured out the part of getting a taxi from Swampypoon to town, but my question is for the return trip. I gather that it can be a problem getting a taxi to take you the airport, as not all taxis are allowed to take return fares. BTW, I am leaving BKK on that gawdawful UA 6am flight

Should I:

1) try to hunt for4 a taxi that will just charge the meter fare (at 4am)

2) call for a taxi, and assume they will charge the meter fare, plus 50 baht for the phone service

3) resign myself to the fact that I will probably not find a taxi willing to do it for the meter rate, and pay double.

4) Find myself a limo service (any good recommendations?)

Thoughts??

If you're staying in a hotel ask them if they have a car service, it's usually more than a taxi but they pay the tolls and it's right there waiting for you. If they don't have one try one of the other hotels, I couldn't imagine them knocking back a non guest as they're usually run seperately from the hotel reception.

If you want reliable, call ahead and make a booking with HOWA taxi.

They are the most reliable, most honest, taxi organization in Bangkok.

Bright green taxis: solid green colour, NO yellow.

One HOWA driver told me they have 1,700 cars.

Taxis are recent models, spotlessly clean.

Drivers go out of their way to be polite and helpful.

Some provide magazines for passengers to read.

All the drivers I've seen, wear a tan uniform shirt with name in English embroidered over the pocket.

Each driver has name cards (business cards) with his name and mobile phone number.

HOWA Taxi is unique in that they have a careful marketing plan that includes phone bookings.

They focus on 5-star hotels, private hospitals and up-scale office buildings.

When you ask the doorman at one of the contract locations for a taxi, they call HOWA.

That's how I discovered them.

HOWA tries to always keep a few taxis waiting behind each location, so the service is quick.

If you call by phone for a booking there is an extra charge of 20 baht.

Call center operator speaks basic English.

In my experience, HOWA taxis always use the meter.

Never experienced any haggling or any "funny stuff" about the fare.

Never any diversions to gem shops or massage.

I live in Bangkok.

If I just want a short taxi ride to Tesco/Lotus, I will stand on the pavement and wave my hand for any passing taxi.

But, for any longer trips or if several stops along the way, I always call HOWA.

In addition to trips around town, I've reserved HOWA taxis to Hua Hin -- three hours each way.

Pickup exactly on time both in Bangkok and for the return trip coming from Hua Hin.

HOWA Taxi Bangkok phone: 02-424-2222.

No web site.

- Khun004

Archived