Information on gem centers

chaseq1

I have just arrived in Bangkok on vacation and desparately need some advice. I recently purchased at a gem center a pair of ruby earrings and a sapphire bracelet as gifts for relatives back in America. I was told that the stones in the pieces I chose were of high quality compared to other gems in the store display. For the two items I spent about 150,000B

What are your opinions about these gem centers. I went to two different ones. They both are very large display areas with up to 40 or more employees in sportscoats manning the display cases. One had several tour buses parked out in front and mobs of tourists browsing and buying. The name of one of the gem centers was the Royal Lapidary.

I want to know if the gems at these establishments are of generally:

a) good quality and good price

B) good quality but overpriced, or

c) poor and overpriced.

I will only be in Bangkok a few more days so any information will be greatly appreciated. I basically want to know if I was ripped off and whether I should return them.

Thanks

Hi,

Few questions:

- were you taken to this shop by a tuk-tuk?

- did they mention that it was the last day of a special promotion ?

- did they ship the gems for you?

If you answered any of these questions with 'yes' then you were most likely scammed.

If on the other hand you have the stones, why not have them appraised at another store?

Sanuk!

I agree with Khun Sanuk's post. And, I would add that the place you went to is often the final stop on many of the Bangkok city tours where unsuspecting tourists are dazzled by the lights and impressed with the professional-looking guys in coats. They often buy gems and jewelry at prices higher than can be found elsewhere. Yes, the tour companies get a piece of the action, and guess who ends up paying that.

Recently, I had a student here who was visiting from Cairo. He bought a bracelet at this same place. Not as much as you paid, but 30,000 baht. I told him to take it to another jeweler in town who appraised the piece at 10,000 baht.

He was pissed. I told him to first contact the place where he bought it, return it and ask for a refund. I recommended that if they refused, he should tell them his next stop would be with the Tourist Police. Fortunately, he did not have to do this as they took the bracelet back and refunded his money in full.

quote:

Originally posted by chase:

I I was told that the stones in the pieces I chose were of high quality compared to other gems in the store display. For the two items I spent about 150,000B

Thanks

NO!, Not again.... It is the ABC of the traveler in LOS. All bookguides warn this is the most common hustle with tourists. You most likely did not get robbed in such a shop, just paid way too much. The rule is: if you don't know anything about gems, and can't appraise them on sight, refrain,or spend reasonably if you like what you see (ie. under 10 000bahts). I am afraid you've been had, but not robbed. You definitely agreed to pay for it, and these stones are probably legit, but the quality is another matter. Read your guidebooks before you enter a country. It's all there... I hope your relatives have no idea either, pass on the scam or be the joke of the night. Shit! you spent in 5mns my whole winter LOS budget...

Go into "the wall" pub off near silom road.

the closet sky train station is chong nong si.(a very european styled pub)great food!

the man that is manging the hotel (farang)for his friend in sweden (farang)runs a gem dealer across the road from there.

so, go in and ask to see the manager. he is a very easy person to talk to, even though he may looked stressed (he is running two businesses) he can answer your questions as gems are his life, in between managing his friend's businesses.

if u have any problems with communication with the bar staff, which is very unlikely, ask for "june". she is the best english speaker there; a very lovely girl that loves to play eight ball (and she's very good at it too)

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am going to try to return them. Any advice on how I should go about it. I have all the paperwork and my credit card reciept? Should I try to make a scene in a showroom full of tourists by raising my voice if they give me a hard time about returning them. Of course I won't get crazy, but is this a good tactic, so that they will give me my money back just to get rid of me.

I am also posting at another site (trying to maximize the amount of advise I can get) so pardon me for those of you who are reading my post for a second time.

I worked in this business for a couple of years.

If you're interested in some no bullshit advice or you want something tested or you're buying stones, go and see David Glickman at Lambert Holdings (bottom end of Silom Rd). Sorry, I've forgotten the exact address.

He's an American guy whose been in the game for years in Bangkok and is as honest as the day is long. A thorough gentleman.

Archived