thailand dogs...

theshaw66

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can't be bothered to carry around a stick or umbrella, the easiest way to get them to back off is to pretend to pick up a stone - they know what comes next. If you have to throw at them, don't try to actually hit them, throw at the ground in front of them - it's better at sending the message than a stone that flies by harmlessly and lands behind them, if you don't have perfect aim (or if you're the type who doesn't want to brain them...).

YimSiam

I remember seeing a dog fight one night in Pratanum. Must have been 30 - 40 dogs involved and it just went on and on. Even the thais were running for cover. Would not want to get caught in the middle. Looked like a bit of a turf war.

Koh Samet is one place on Thailand 100% rabie free they claim

No longer....I was just there and barebacked a small pack of dogs....bit each one in the neck too...I definitely think I gave them rabies, in addition to some other nasties.

Seriously if you don't like dogs....don't make eye contact. Make sure they get used to seeing you because if you come home some night drunk and startle one it could be bad news.....Whenever I move to a new area I keep some doggy iscuits in my pocket for the first couple of months....

The american indian reservations are every bit the same as the bangkok soi dog situation....

Those are some pretty good tips (faking a stone throw, not making eye contact, doggy biscuits).

My last resort - carefully kick the most menacing dog in the face. I really hate doing that, but it seems to work, once they have decided to "have their way" with me.

And no, we're not talking about the ladies of the night who haunt Sukhumvit near Robinsons late into the night, trying to pick pockets as people walk by. I try to avoid eye contact with them, and that seems to work fairly well. But how knows: they maybe become so bold that we will have to resort to carrying sticks or handing out doggy biscuits. :)

Archived