thailand dogs...

theshaw66

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a guy came to our house and gave out pooch the whole lot KS. Rabies,distemper etc, vacines for all the stuff dogs get. Think it cost B200. We got a little card with the dates on and a number to ring for boosters next year. Had to come twice, some of the vaccines can't be administered the same week apparently.

I'm allergic to dog dander.

Once a dog in a large beer garden in Pattaya came up to me as I walked and rubbed against my pants. I thought this was strange (sometimes a cat will do this) but initially thought the dog was showing affection. Then I noticed some yellow puss on my pants where the dog had rubbed and realized that it was using me to clean an open sore on its side -- it's a horror story.

For years I took care of a group of stray dogs in Koh Phangan, helping them out with food, water, love and attention, various shots, bug soap and tweezers, caring for their wounds.

The goverment warns everybody to keep their dogs in cuz they are gonna kill the rest. A fine day on the beach with dogs dying and choking everywhere...They also send vets for free to give shots, remove balls, do operations etc. This work is very necessary since there is periods that all female dogs were laying litters of 13 to 16 puppies at the same time. Searching for food is not fun when your body is run down with mainz all over...

Discovered that the meanest dogs where the biggest pushovers when it comes to attention. They became my friends...I choose them anytime over humans. Their gratitude and love extents the one of humans.

Interesting point CB. At least strays in LoS live a life of freedom. Kept dogs are even more restrained in LOs than in the West. Sometimes their life exists only of being allowed to sit upon a table...as a show case.

Thais dont like to kill them as a true Buddhist, they rather see them suffering than make their hands dirty. Although once in a while you see a alpha male to take care of a crippled dog after a terrible accident. I go and shake the man's hand and thank him.

Dogs in Thailand are more like people. They participate in daily life of the community, whether they be in temples, sleeping next to a food cart, or just hanging around their part of the road.

People also take care of dogs, in some ways similar to the way they would administer to a monk. Providing food and water when necessary, and sometimes medical care. Providing for a dog is likely to bring merit in the mid of the one providing the care. Certainly, there are often acts of caring and love.

To that extent, street dogs are similar to people. The live our the drama, and often sleep out the rest, of their lives in the streets, being free to associate with other dogs (as noted previously, they do not wear condoms, as least AFIK) and people, normally not receiving much interference from people. Almost idyllically, they spend their time on earth among other higher animals, such as us.

Not every dog deserves to be pampered beyond that which the ordinary street dog experiences. Certainly, life for these dogs' wild ancestors would have been many times more difficult than what the street dog experiences today.

In Western countries, such a dog is not tolerated. While I have issues with packs of dogs roaming in the evening and early morning, I am more than glad that many dogs are able to life fulfilling, all be they rather short lives.

One day while walking, I saw a Thai man walking out of a side soi with a big stick. I was wondering why he would carry such a big stick when a pack of dogs ran toward him. He had to threaten the dogs to get them to back down.

Dogs running in packs are more aggressive and dangerous.

Archived