thailand dogs...

theshaw66

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends...

If they were in america, they would be picked up by animal control officers and i guess 98% leave the pound 4 paws up..

In LOS, almost all live in some deteriorated state yet many have people at least feed them to continue their loveless life. Most will die prematurely due to being hit by a car, disease, malnutrition, killed by other territorial dogs, etc

So it gets down to just being alive and taking your chances on survival vs instant death santioned by the state with zero chance of a life....

Would you rather be a homeless guy on the street or rounded up, then gassed and go out in a paddy wagon?

Which way is more compassionate?

CB

The skanky looking muts around this place and people dump dogs when they are sick or bored with them at the temple in my moo bahn there is a lady which i refer to as the dog lady she has turned my soi into somthing between an indian resavation or a trash town in mexico there is a roof of a carryboy in the lot next to her but that the least of it she has 4-5 dogs which she sees fit to let roam around in packs gaining pack mentality.I am sure when they attack a kid or person somthing might get done or i will give them a doggie treat.I do like dogs but belive you should be response for them like making sure they get correct jabs and dont go round fooking every soi dog out there.

It's very sad earlier this year a old girlfriend of mine spent time on Phuket and other islands neutering stray dogs. Sadly the Thais, being animal lovers, feed them occassionally then watch them die from aweful painful diseases.

Anywhere else we'd put them down (dogs, not the thais) but thats frowned upon here'

DOG

I think this number is incredible low which is wonderful news considering LOS has one of th highest if not highest street dog populations in the world per capita. Much greter than India's per capita!

Ther is an american doctor here who has been living here for I believe 30 plus years and is probably regarded as "the expert" on the street dog population, rabies and prevention/treatment.

I went to a very informative talk a few years back. Because these dogs are very docile, rabies is not a problem given the size of the dog population. Most street dogs die within three years of life so he said cost-effective sterilty programs were questionable.

Most rabies cases are transmitted by these dogs who are played with by local children (licked over biting via the transmission method).

If one wants a significant cultural philosophical difference between thailand and america/west in how to manage the street dog population, here it is....

I can see pros and cons with each...

CB

Archived