How does Thai food in your area compare to that in Thailand? Indian?

whcouncill

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been to Thai town in LA but judging by the numbers and reputation I'd guess it to be the best in the US, followed closely by the Bay Area. The restaurants here cook for farangs not Thais so even the best fall short of what's available in LOS, at least as far as my wife is concerned... :smirk:

We are fortunate to have a few friends who are exceptional Thai cooks and eating at their homes is as close as you can get to dining in Thailand.

Most of the Thai restuarants in Australia are OK, there's no excuse now for Asian food not to be up to scratch as there are Asian supermarkets everywhere. The food is regional and if a Thai woman turns her nose up at it, it would be because the food is Issan and she's from the south or Chiang Mai.

Peronally I prefer Vietnamese food which is great in Australia and I enjoyed it in Saigon too.

the chinese food in Thailand is more chinese than the chinese food in USA, while the Thai food is less thai in USA as the chinese food in Thailand is chinese! the indian food in Thailand is pretty much indian, mostly are actually even more indian than in india!

regret to admit that i have no experience with indian food in China, but have had thai food in thailand, china, india and USA, chinese food in china, india, usa, thailand and the philippines

I used to love thai food in the US before I'd ever been to thailand, but now that I've lived here 4 years I cannot eat it when I go back, it doesn't resemble at all (or just barely does) the food that people really eat here. I have found one lao restaurant in the town I regularly teach in in the summers in the US that has fairly decent food (Thai and Lao), and no surprise, it's filled with thai university students every day at lunchtime.

I've always been a bit puzzled by this: you can find quite accurate chinese food in any number of chinatowns in the US (but rarely outside them), and extremely authentic vietnamese food at any number of places, but thais just don't seem to make it the same in the US...they'll developed a sense of "what farangs like" and have altered all their cooking to fit that (kind of like what happened with americanized chinese food many years ago I guess)

preahko

Archived