Boss Towers, feedback?

Shibuya

I've been looking for something sub 10,000 /month for 6 months for some time in Klongtoey area. Best i can come up with is bosstower.com, however my Thai friend pulled a funny face when i said i was going there, but wouldnt say why.

Some big secret i should know about?

Is it good for the price?

etc

I don't know that hotel -- Boss Tower -- but I certainly know the area.

I happened to pass by there earlier today.

The neighborhood around Boss Tower is a blend of new offices, some routine shopping (Carrefour and Tesco/Lotus), and down-scale residential.

It is a lower class, Thai, area.

There are few attractions for foreigners.

The problem there is that any Westerner would be very out of place in that neighborhood.

Whenever I have ventured into such areas I always get suspicious stares, with silent faces wondering, "What is the farang doing here?"

It is not hostile, but it certainly is not welcoming.

I can think of two possible reasons for the Thai to "pull a funny face".

The name "Klongtoey" can mean either of three things in Bangkok.

First, a city district that extends from the river to Sukhumvit Road.

Second, a huge, local-style market.

Finally, the best known use of the term, a notorious slum within the district, behind the market, between Rama IV road and the river.

When most people hear "Klongtoey" they think of that slum.

Boss Tower is not in the slum area.

The second reason is that Boss Tower is nowhere near either the subway or skytrain.

There are plenty of buses and taxis right out front, but that section of Rama IV road is a continuous traffic jam.

That is a big disadvantage for that location.

While I don't know that hotel, in that price range there are far better locations in Bangkok.

The apartments are older and pretty tired looking. As the previous poster pointed out, Rama 4 is more a business, industrial area.

I have lived close to there in Phra Khanong for more than two years and have never had any kind of problem or "funny looks". Many farangs do live in that neighborhood, maybe not in the same concentrations as the farang ghettos of lower Suk. or Thong Lo, but we're certainly not an unusual sight.

I did consider Boss Tower because it is inexpensive, but the transportation hassels of Rama 4 deterred me, a hot and polluted 20 minute walk to the Skytrain.

There is a brand new condo at the corner of Rama 4 and Suk. next to the Phra Khanong BTS that may have some rental units available.

• 1 month later...

Nearby Boss Tower is also Rompo mansion. Its not too bad. 2 minute walk to tesco, and motorbiukes out the front. 20 baht to MRT, and 30 baht to BTS PHrom Phong.

This place has snooker tables, steam room, decent swimming pool,mini mart etc.

I liked living here, and it was always easy to get anywhere. Ok if you want to be right on the skytrain its not ideal but then you will pay for that. And on the other hand if you do get something near the BTS for cheap then its going to be very basic box room.

The people around here are nice enough also. No stares. I was able to have a beer many times with the motrbike guys. Its all how you approach people in the beginning.

I stayed at Boss Tower a few nights and its ok. The facilities are better at rompo, as there is no steam room at Boss Tower. I think this is nice in the mornings and evenings.

if you do go for Boss Tower becareful about the balconies!

• 3 weeks later...

I Lived at BossTower for three or four months in 2002 (as did a few other board members). I liked the price, service was OK, commute not a problem, 5 min walk to the corner of Suk Soi 36, 10 Bt ride to ThongLor BTS, walking distance to Tesco and Ca'four, even on occasion walked back from SC, via the sois. High floors are nice, far away from traffic noise and smog, provinding you can resist your impulses to jump. And some of the girls on reception are cute.

Archived