thai green curry

belfastish

thats a favourite of mine in thailand and i make it back home aswell,for 4 people i would use for sauce 2 tablespoons of thai curry paste and 400ml of coconut milk which is enough sauce if you pouring it over the rice.

but when i was in ko samui i got the best and nicest one ive tasted,it was a full bowl of sauce ,chicken peppers etc with the rice obviously seperate.

to get more of the sauce would i just have to use more coconut milk or is it very fatting? or is something else used?and do i need to add more curry paste then?

thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belfastish, you could add more coconut milk if you want but i would have thought a 400ml can would be enough and you could add a bit of water. As for the paste i think that just depends on taste, how spicy you want it? In Thailand as you mentioned it would be served seperately from the rice anyway and is quite runny/watery anyway. My wife looks in horror at some of the very thick very unspicy sauces they put on top of rice and call Thai green curry in the UK!

Simie.

i missed the taste so much when I was at home that i found out to make the paste from scratch, cos the pastes out of tesco etc tasted nothing like they should.

Heres how,

12-15 green chillies

handful fresh coriander sprigs and leaves.

2 tablespoon fish sauce

2 lemon grass sticks

2 garlic cloves

1/2 tablespoon fresh root ginger grated

2 tablespoon of ground cumin powder

whole lime juice.

4/5 onion shallots.

shrimp paste.

Now, cut all the ingredients up as finely as possible. Add them into a food blender then add the fish sauce and lime juice.

*dont add the shrimp paste yet.

Turn on the blender and try to get it into a apaste. THis will take quite a while and you will need to stop and mix the ingredients with a wooden spatula so the blender blades will ctach them.

*add vegetable oil to help the blending process. Once it starts to turn into a green paste then add a teaspoon of shrimp paste. Continue to blend.

Once finished put in a container and store in the fridge. There should be enough for 4 or 5 uses.

To cook:

Add a little veg oil to a pan. Let it heat under a heat of 2 to 3 gasmark. Then add 3/4 teaspoons of the paste to the pan and let itr heat,moving it around until you start to get the flavours. Then add the chicken and cook. Add more paste if you feel the need. When the chcikens nearly cooked then add the coconut milk. Low fat if you dont want the high fat stuff. It should truna nice green colour.

At the end add tear up fresh basil leaves and add them in. Keep stirring. The basil gives it a distinctive taste. Then add lime and serve with rice.

Making the paste fresh gives a freal nice taste and is worth the effort, Make enough in one batch and it will lasy for months in the freezer, or you can fry iot in oil then pout in the fridge up to 6 months.

Regulate the spice level by using either all small green chillies for spicy , or biiger ones for mild or a mix of both.

For red curry use red chillies.

Guest lazyphil

i read too coconut milk is a heart attack accellerent!!!....creen chicken curry is my nemisis, i love it (once a month treat :crazy: ), but hohum, looks like its another baked spud with roasted veg in olive oil and grilled tuna steak for lunch followed by a banana and a pint of apple juice :angel:

Archived