Who is Rude?

mainsail

During my recent trip I had a new impression. We often complain about the Thais trying to rip us off or girls with attitudes or aggressive Thai touts. But my new impression is that it is the Farang who are rude! Even to each other. I travel alone and like to be friendly with the people I meet. The Farang I talked to were far more rude than any Thais I talked to, both around and away from the bar scene. I am sure this is not a new impression for you but it really struck me this time, because I think over the past five years the crowd of Farang who come to Thailand has changed. Now you may think they are rude because I deserved it, but I assure you that is not the case and besides, this is an impression of how the Farang crowd seems to be changing.

Of course this is not always the case, and I met many great people as I always do. But the percentage of rude behavior I observed around me, not only towards me, has noticeably increased. I am sure the Thai population has noticed this and probably leads to a harder attitude towards us.

And the same behavior I see worlwide never ceases to amaze me. When someone does not understand what you are saying in English, yelling it at them will not make them understand!

I must be getting old as I think I sound like a grumpy old man here. I have been going to Thailand a long time and it saddens me to see the experience drug into the dirt by the people who are supposed to be enjoying it!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right, it is not new, at least not to me, I am kinda preaching it for 1 year! I'd say it is 70% rude people out there (rude in case of unapropriate behavior)

It really gets interesting when you sit in the same bar almost everyday at least for 2 hours. You get to know the girls really well and after a few month it is impossible for them to keep their mask on. They get lazy and they get to know and trust you. They open up for real!

You see many kind of customers approaching the same girl and you can see her reaction to them. It is an amazing study which totally proofs my first impressions wrong!

Besides beeing rude, i see the most people terribly dressed, like 50 kilo overweight but wearing shorts and gym shirts, that goes through all generations.

I must be extremely old fashionend because my idea is, if you approach a lady (even a hooker) your supposed to be dressed nice, everything else would be a lack of respect. It would say, look I am dressed shitty because I know I will get in your pants anyways!

Many young guys think they are heroes when they look around and see mostly older out of shape guys, but the girls love the money and not the face and young guys simply don't have much and from the girls report they fuck bad, too fast in speed and dont get the girls arroused at all, mostly very painful sex (so I was told)

Many 55+ not handsome men like to grope too much which is a lack of respect either in my eyes. Haven't barfined - stop groping!

Girls seem to be pretty happy with guys from my generation up to 50, if they don't smell and are normal or nice. I have observed that the more handsome the guys the better he treats the girls. Probably all this disrespect and rudeness is a result of beeing unconfident or finally getting something he wont get at home!

Just observations of a single person with no intention to offend anyone!

I think a lot of what some farangs attribute to Thais as rudeness amounts to a very different conception of personal space and physical conduct across the two cultures.

For instance, most farangs when they walk will be aware of who's in front of them, who's in their path , or approaching about to cross their path, etc. We then (fairly automatically) take appropriate evasive action, etc.

Thais do not have this sense at all. If they're following a certain course of walking (or driving), they will just continue on it and walk right into you. Now, they don't seem to mind when they do this to each other, I see it all the time. They just bump into each other (or nearly so) and then go on their way.

The problem is, to us it seems as if they're just rudely walking right into you. We from the West also tend to like a larger margin of "personal space" around us, and get annoyed when someone steps (or stands) too close to us. Again, Thais don't seem to mind at all walking (or standing, or sitting) right on top of each other, being pressed together, etc., but it tends to annoy the hell out of many farangs.

I have to add that, even being aware of this difference in walking patterns/personal space, it still bugs the hell out of me as I walk the streets or ride the skytrain, even after four years living here!

preahko

I have exactly the same observations as the previous poster and feel the same way about it. I am aware of the cultural differences but it still frequently gets on my nerves.

I see many farangs frequently just lose it over some minor irritation they encounter which are all too common here. You can see the frustration boil over in them when they get really pissed off at some Thai over some really minor thing. Sometimes it is indeed hard to be patient and understanding but I certainly try. I just keep reminding myself I am a guest in this country. That helps keep me from being too overtly rude I think.

I have been pretty disappointed with the attitudes (mercenary, hardness, bs, etc., etc.) I encounter these days from most of the girls I meet in the p4p scene. I just don't expect much from them anymore. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed, imo.

Seems a lot of guys in Pattaya just have ZERO social skills. Probably a big reason they're there, since they won't be getting anywhere with thier charm.

exactly!

Phreako, Montagu.

That is right what both of you say and in Phreakos case probably an explanation for the Walking Street Hello Boys thread (correct me if I am wrong)

I still don't think this causes the rudeness of the farangs. I think the OP meant to say that farangs are just rude, not boiling over feeling uncomfortable, more having a strange attitude towards the girls. It is a like a social arm wrestling because they believe to have more power than a little BG. Someone who is a nobody and all of a sudden "feels" his new powers usually doesn't use them responsible. It makes them arrogant and abusive. That is the only explanation why a big fat bastard is being rude to a cute little girl - a girl he would never attract at home. All these compliments he gets from the girls (lies) boost his confidence and the belief in himself.

Even if I am wrong, we are all just guests in this country, we have to behave!

I concur with the rudeness by some Farang; I had been lucky until the last trip to Pattaya in Sept. I stopped for a beer and made the mistake of saying hello to an English guy. His response was "I'm trying to play pool here"!!! A bit of a wanker.

By the way CT I looked for you when I was there :beer: ; I asked if anyone had seen you at Lucifer's. I ask for the cheap-guy that goes by Mr. Wonderful :rotl::neener::neener::neener:

Archived