Copying mini DVD's to larger DVD's

Palatkik

We have one of these Sony DVD camcorders that records direct to a mini DVD disc that can be removed from the player after finalizing and played in any DVD player.

I was wondering if two or three of the mini DVD's could be copied to a single larger DVD disc? The DVD copy software I have (Roxio 8) only does straight disc to disc copy leaving the larger DVD's mostly empty of data.

Cheers

You might have some luck with DVDShrink to do that. As well as shrinking movies, you can also use it copy each mini DVD to its own folder and then combine them. However, the 'join' may have a jump in it since they are not really joined, they are just separate titles.

Also, some of the stand-alone DVD recorders have a slightly proprietary DVD format (not sure if this applies to camcorders as well?), which can cause problems in some DVD software.

I was wondering if two or three of the mini DVD's could be copied to a single larger DVD disc? The DVD copy software I have (Roxio 8) only does straight disc to disc copy leaving the larger DVD's mostly empty of data.

I wouldn't bother with this problem, because what you want is a lot of hassle. In order to put several dvd's on 1 large dvd, you first have to rip the mini dvd's using a program like DVD decrypter and like CT says, that takes time. After that you should probably join the vobs, convert them to mpeg2 format, and then put the 2 or 3 movies on 1 dvd using a dvd authoring program. Considering the low cost of DVD, I wouldn't even bother.

You might have some luck with DVDShrink to do that. As well as shrinking movies, you can also use it copy each mini DVD to its own folder and then combine them. However, the 'join' may have a jump in it since they are not really joined, they are just separate titles.

Also, some of the stand-alone DVD recorders have a slightly proprietary DVD format (not sure if this applies to camcorders as well?), which can cause problems in some DVD software.

Okay that are 2 good ideas. Still you would have to copy them to your HD first! Soongmak, don't need a decrypter because self recorded DVDs are not encrypted! DVD Shrink will do the job without Menus, DVD after DVD will be joined! (tested it, you can add vob files from different sources!

The brilliant Idea is the DVD-Recorder (if you have one)

I remember that I copied the DV vacation vid of my parents once. I have a Pioneer Device with firewire interface. The recorder takes over the control of the camera. Whenever you hit the stop button on your cam the recorder will remember that and create a chapter (genius and brilliant, you simply can skip to the next scene)

Put all your DVDs on the HD of your device and add them the burn list or even delete scenes you don't like! YOu get stuff like this for 150 USD on Ebay!

Christams is coming up, give yourself a treat! :)

Hi,

as said before your own mini DVDs aren't copy protected or scrambled with CSS, so you may just copy their content to the hard drive.

As a DVD authoring tool I like Adobe Encore DVD 1.5. I got me a free 'trial'. Very good program. The best feature is that once your video file is already DVD compliant then Adobe Encore DVD 1.5 will not encode your video again. Which saves lots of time. Unfortunately they changed that in version 2.0, so make sure you get version 1.5.

carlton

Nero can copy video files (.vob). Just copy the .vob files on the mini to your hard drive. :twocents:

if you do that, don't forget to rename the files because they different discs always create exactly the same files names. Does Nero join them and create an ifo and bup file? How does someone without experience know how to rename the files and wouldn't it be better to have a propper menue?

I wanna see the scene where I was at the tiger park, hmm where is it?

Definately use an athoring program. Adobe is pricey and the version you are about to download will expire in 30 days. In this case it would be cheaper to have a stand alone recorder!

Archived