school age?

chuck6660

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once had a multifamily house with a Hispanic family on the first floor and a Hebrew speaking family on the second floor. A Japanese family with a three year old daughter moved into the third floor. Within three months, she was fluent in Hebrew, Spanish and English as well as her native Japanese; it was really amazing to witness.

I later read that children of that age can learn up to five languages at once and keep them on separate tracks, by the time they are six, they loose half of that capacity.

As long as it is fun, non-punative and non-competitive, why not school at three? It sure beats hell out of them sitting in front of the TV all day.

Years ago, my compound had a lot of UN employees living in it. There were Thai, Dutch, Hungarian, Japanese and American children. When they played together, the common language was Thai. My Mrs came in quite surprised one day and told me she heard the 8 year old American girl -- a blue eyed blonde -- speaking perfect Thai with a native speaker accent. All of the kids spoke that way. But what do you bet that most of them forgot the language when they left Thailand and had no way to practice it.

Unfortunately, schools in the US seldom introduce foreign language studies until students are around 13 or older. By then, it is already a bit late. :(

Archived