Living with a Thai Girl - Bridge over the River Kwai

Nervous_Dog

Now thats interesting as I am going to be in Pang Na over New Year for work, I'll check it out

Thanks1

The park in Pang Na is well hidden in the back streets, itâ??s big and you walk down a Dragons mouth to see it all then you end up in a big cave, but you must ask the locals as a Taxi driver took us there

thats amazing that can can learn so much so early,i wasnt sure if you could learn 2 langauages that early thats why i asked,i thought maybe it would of confused them or would put some english words in when speaking thai.

they also learn english in school that early?

some people dont know how lucky they are brought up in a mix culture marriage. :up:

The younger you are the easier it is to learn another language. This is what I have read in a research paper some time ago.

Also the best way to learn another language is to experience it as opposed to actively learning it. It seems to be a good method for me at least.

Waerth

Bridge over the River Kwai

I wonder if any of the poor buggers working the train line knew the river was called after a beast of burden?

You see the name of the river transliterated to Kwai everywhere, the movie, the book, road signs etc.

However, the pronounciation is more like Kwae à¹Âà¸?ว and it actually means tributary as opposed to Kwaai à¸?วาย for buffalo.

:cover:

What I also appreciate about this general area is that it is very affordable.

Noticed on my last visit that they have now even established a small number of beerbars too.

cheers

hn

The younger you are the easier it is to learn another language. This is what I have read in a research paper some time ago.

On the language aspect of this thread ...

Usually find myself agreeing with Waerth's observations, but, on this topic, I respectfully offer an opposing opinion.

My experience can offer positive encouragement to older learners of Thai language.

When younger, I didn't have motivation, didn't have mental discipline, didn't have the conceptual framework for learning new languages in depth.

I tried -- French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese -- but each was a struggle and none stayed with me very long after I'd stopped studying.

Now -- age 60+ -- I am eager to learn Thai, have the motivation and the dedication, and have learned so many things over the years, that I know how to learn new things easily.

Studying Thai, at this advanced age, is proving to be a lot of fun.

Of course, all learning takes time and practice.

But, I want to emphasize, old dogs can learn new languages.

Archived