What's that stuff wrapped in banana leaf "for ladies"?

wonderlust

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You see it sold in roadside stalls - something wrapped in banana leaf. I asked for some but the woman gave me a strange look and said it's "for ladies". WTF?

Thats what I love about Thailand. Just when you think you know something you realsie you dont. I havent a clue.

I know what u mean. You see something often and eventaully you ask for it...and of course you get that response.

I know I ve had like little coconut sweets inside banana leaves,like kind of jelly coconut milky things.

However didnt know they were only for women.

You see it sold in roadside stalls - something wrapped in banana leaf. I asked for some but the woman gave me a strange look and said it's "for ladies". WTF?

Got some here at home in the fridge. Picked them up in Thai Town. Maybe she just didn't like the look of you... :dunno::dunno:

More than likely, its betel nut, which is chewed by old ladies for its stimulating and intoxicating effects. Young ladies don't chew it because it stains their teeth red.

When you see an old woman drooling red saliva into a can, she's chewing betel nut. Its seems to be popular all over Asia.

More than likely, its betel nut, which is chewed by old ladies for its stimulating and intoxicating effects. Young ladies don't chew it because it stains their teeth red.

When you see an old woman drooling red saliva into a can, she's chewing betel nut. Its seems to be popular all over Asia.

That was probably it. I remember the betel girls in Taiwan selling stuff wrapped up the same way. In Taiwan only men chew it. I didn't know old ladies chewed it in Thailand.

Archived