Thai girls in cambodia or malaysia.

FAT_AUSSIE

I have seen on Thai TV stuff before about the Thai embassy being destroyed by the Cambodians in Cambodia and given the situation in south Thailand.

How would my Thai wife be recieved in both Cambodia (trip to Ankor wat in the pipeline) and Kuala Lumpur, extended stop over planned as well.

Also how would you rate the saftey of a 2 and half year old child travelling with us.

Also any suggestions for places to go things to see in either place, bearing in mind I will be travelling with a young child. Am thinking of one of those package tours taking in Pnom Penh out to Nakon wat and in Malay just stopping over for about five nights and staying close to KL.

Any info is apprieciated...

Fatty.

Hi,

my impression is travelling with small kids is eeaaasyyy in SEAsia.

Not sure why, but guess it's because they are still used to kids. You'll get jealous because all the females will care more for your kid than for you...

You'll have more problems with tourists than with locals. Long flights are stress. Maybe fly at night, your kid might sleep through it.

Have a nice holiday.

Cheers guys.

My wife is of the mindset that because of the trouble in the southern Thai provinces that all Malasians dislike Thai's.

She point blank would never go to Rangoon and she would like to go to Nakon Wat but does'nt wan't to go to Camboia (if that makes sence).

The only concern I have is my daughter who passes more as a farang in appearance than Thai going to Cambo. The stories of child abduction iv'e heard make me think that cambo is not a good option with my daughter.

Thanks all...

FA.

I just got back from Siem Reap. Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are all about $$ and mass tourism (the mass is getting more massive all the time), and your Thai wife would likely not have any problems. They get Thais all the time and even have some popular Thai restaurants in town. You'll probably encounter more Koreans and farangs than Cambodians anyway.

That said, during my recent time in LOS and Cambodia I was fascinated by the reactions I got in both countries whenever mentioning the other.

Thais smile and nod approvingly when you say your trip is taking you to Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket, etc... mention that you are also spending a few days visiting Angkor Wat in Cambodia... and they just give you a blank look like they never heard of the place. In fact I never met a single Thai that had a favorable reaction when I mentioned Cambodia.

And, Cambodians feel the same way about Thailand - mention LOS and they just ignore you. I think they have something of an inferiority complex regarding Thailand and are probably jealous of Thailand's status, income levels, modern development, etc in comparison to their own country. The reaction I got in Vietman regarding Thailand was exactly the same too.

As soon as my Angkor Wat tour guide found out I was single (about 15 minutes after we met), he wanted to fix me up with a Cambodian woman for marriage (for a real relationship, not for the night), saying that they make much better wives than Thais or Vietnamese, who he said only care about your money (imagine that!). I didn't pursue it. He also pointed out proudly that the Khmer empire included much of present day Thailand and Vietnam, and that Cambodia's neighbors keep stealing land away from Cambodia.

Be aware that Angkor Wat and many of the other temples in the area have stone carvings on their walls depicting the Khmers fighting off evil invaders from surrounding countries (which I'm sure is different from the history your Thai wife may have been taught).

Still, I seriously doubt your wife would have any problems. At worst she might feel like she is being ignored a bit. Actually I felt that way myself sometimes - the Cambodians aren't nearly as warm, open and service minded as their Thai counterparts (service in restaurants was poor in comparison to LOS, though no worse than many countries).

Very good assessment there Dali. There are lots of undercurrents in South East Asia which we aren't aware of. It's not too difficult for politicians to get people all riled up for historical reasons but I think the attack on the Thai Embassy was just a bit of group stupidity. There was also a case of some Thai tourists 'abusing' beggars at Angkor I recall. Still OP's wife shouldn't have any trouble.

Archived