It's Coming, and it Won't Be Pretty...

preahko

Okay, folks, this is real. The Nana cops are antsy. presumably, they are loyal to the current government. and they know something's up...despite the assurances of "no counter coup is coming"...

I'm starting to doubt my previous theory that the bombings were the work of the current military dictatorship, and thinking that they are instead indeed the work of disgruntled, Thaksin-loving (though not in collusion with Thaksin) cops...

tonight, at Nana Disco, where I have gone frequently for over three years, there is a cop that the money scrounging Aussie bastard who runs the place has on retainer. diminutive guy who's always on the door, and is always very friendly to me. he's a Lumpini area cop, I've often seen him in uniform around Nana area as well.

NEVER, in three+ years, have I ever seen him enter the disco. until tonight. he was cruising the place, very carefully scrutinizing everyone inside, on the dance floor and around. and the ever-present smile was missing from his face tonight.

the cops loyal to the government know there's something up. new year's was just a warm-up. it's gonna be fucking nasty, folks...pray you're at Cowboy (where I intend to be) or Patpong when it happens...

preahko

Or maybe his boss (in the bar) has asked him to go into the disco and check out for anything suspicious - its happening in all the bars - the owners/managers have all been called into the police stations for briefings about the bomb situation and the police are actively going around all the bars to ensure owners and staff are on the lookout for suspicious packages. Personally I think its a prudent measure.

Cheers

SS

"God will take care of no name city Comes the end, and it won't be pretty..." From Paint Your Wagon (Clint Eastwood, Lee Marvin. Who would have thought that Lee Marvin could sing at all. Or that Eastwood would ever be voted into political office (but that's California).

Its kind of difficult to tell the difference between those taking prudent measures and those who know something is up.

Personally, I hope its only the exercise of prudent measures, but perhaps its best to avoid places like Nana and Cowboy.

We are even seeing some skittishness in the law enforcement community up here near in Nong Khai. Everyone seems to be on edge.

Actually, as Nana Disco is a "members-only" club (my friends Rajiv and Abdullah swear it's true...), he was probably just checking to make sure it was only members in there that night... Or perhaps he heard a wild rumour that there was a girl in there who would still look hot once she came out of the shadows, and he wanted to see if it was true?

Police loyal to the current government? Are there any?

YimSiam

I don't know if it is comming or not, but things are definitely more on edge now. I mentioned the cursory checks at underground stations in the other thread.

Since I want to be careful about how I express this, I will simply say the "climate" has changed. It's alot of little things - for example, heavy police presence in Nana, the prefunctory checks at underground station and attitudes in general - that, together, don't feel quite right. I can't point to anything more tangible than this, but these little things, collectively, put things on edge.

I hope they are looking ,

there were the New Years bombs , so its not just a runmor ,

If the bombers are crazy like the Iraq one they will just blow themselves up,

but it seems that so far they are just trying to prove the point that they CAN do this, and they have shown that,

But a real good size bomb will be harder to do than blowing up a phone box etc,

increased police patrols will help , I am happy to hear thay are doing it...

Anyone know what the police are doing in the Thai areas ?

OC

Archived