Buying Property in Thailand

thefezman

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of the 49% farang owners in an excellent condotel in N Pattya... everything in my name; no company structure. I've been here 6 years now... no problems at all. Annual maintenace fee for security, pool, facilities - the lot 7,700 baht pa.... and that included painting the outside of the building last year. Bought it for 1m baht now worth near 3m baht. I never tire of the sea view and the cool sea breeze...I'm here for life.. another 20 -30 years before you'll see my pixilated arse on Pattaya Peoples News as the sawan buribum ?? cart me out! :grinyes:

Will someone with a better economics mind than mine explain the supply/demand side of this equation. Let's say that the authorities do start cracking down on the phoney silent Thai partners arrangements, I can see how that might jeopardise those sorts of condo prices - owners offloading them as quickly as possible to whoever. But wouldn't that increase the value of the original 49% farang owned condos, that can be easily bought or sold legally to farangs who want to buy without a company structure?

Also if it hurts builders, maybe they'll stop building thereby limiting supply. In the currency crash of 97, the government relaxed the ownership laws to stimulate building again.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new "let's shoot ourselves in the foot" legislation is reversed again. TIT.

:beer:

Same deal some American friends have in Jomtien.

They are all in under the 49% cut-off and neatly ensconced for life. :D (So it would seem.)

I'd join them in a heartbeat but I much prefer the beach at Phuket. I'm a swimmer and need nice, clean beach water. Unfortunately, you pay a premium for that.

Anyone have a line on reasonable condos or bungalows in Phuket?

I have heard of some dodgy goings on at a certain condo development on Soi Bukhao, and I've heard of much higher annual maintenace fees (up to 40,000 pa at a new Beach Rd development.) But at my condotel 7,700 pa (that's US$210 or 110 GBP - my total living expenses apart from water and elec for the entire year!) when I haven't had a single thing to complain about in 6 years, plus there's constant little bits of improvement to keep up the hotel standards, I'm absolutely delighted with it. I think an audit would cost me more than that!

Proof of my and others' satisfaction is condos where I live rarely come up for sale.

Sure, one should do one's homework, but it ain't all bad news.

:beer:

Archived