Postnatal care in thailand

soongmak

The amount of postnatal care here in the Netherlands is driving my thai wife crazy.

We have a son, a healthy nine pound baby, and in one week we had:

- daily heelpricks to test his level of bloodsugar, four (!) on the first day;

- a heart film made, because of a slight heart murmur the doctors heard;

- a liver test: because of his yellowish color the doctors thought maybe his liver malfunctioned (never mind the mother is yellowish brown);

- another heel prick was needed for a screening of 17 diseases this morning

- a checkup for bodytemperature twice daily;

- daily check for weight;

- instructions on how to breast feed;

- consultations with the doctor (two times since discharged from the hospital on saturday;

To me, this seems over the top for a perfectly healthy baby. So how does this work in thailand?

>So how does this work in thailand?

Bwahaha. In most places? "Here's your kid. Now f*ck off".....

-j-

I thought so. But what is your opinion about the picture I just sketched. Over the top or what? I think it instills fear in people for raising their baby the wrong way.

>So how does this work in thailand?

Bwahaha. In most places? "Here's your kid. Now f*ck off".....

-j-

I thought so. But what is your opinion about the picture I just sketched. Over the top or what? I think it instills fear in people for raising their baby the wrong way.

Most probably does, the ironic thing is in the UK if you take your baby to the doctor/hospital too often you get accused of child abuse

Soongmak,

My wife gave birth to both our children in the local hospital, where care was adeqaute and not over the top. After two days she and the baby were released and we have our regular visits to get shots etc.

Never had the idea that they were neglected but care was just right, IMHO.

Next week our daughter, 4 years, will have her last shots.

HI Soongmak

OK, seriously this time. In general, at least in the west, the level of post natal care will depend upon several factors. Things such as the APGAR score

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/3074.html

will help determine how much help a particular baby needs. There are some "standard" tests, although these vary from place to place:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10104

If anything comes back slightly "off" there will be re-tests. With a lot of the screening its because early detection can save big problems later.

"Yellow" babies are VERY common and is a sign of jaundice - most cases are very simply treated (they bung the baby under a sun lamp), but it does need to be diagnosed and treated early, also to rule out something serious giving the problem:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/common/jaundice.html

Obvioulsy, as you said, there were additional tests due to some cause for concern (the slight heart murmer).

All in all, it sounds to me that you baby is in good hands with a concentious medical team. Let them do thier job, and don't worry about it too much.

best of luck to you and your newborn.

-j-

Thanks for the links, Josh!

Our baby had a perfect Apgar score. Due to his big size, the doctor decided to regularly check his blood glucose level. It came up to the appropriate level on the first day after some additional feeding besides breast feeding.

The heart murmur turned out to be nothing, just a normal murmur many infants seem o have. The heart film checked out perfect as well.

The heel prick to check if the baby has jaundice turned up negative as well. We lay our baby on the sofa everyday so it gets exposed to sunlight (as far as that's possible in the Netherlands in the winter!)

All in all, he's in perfect health and we count our blessings. :bow:

Archived