Windows startup problems

khunsanuk

Hi,

Since a few days when I start Windows (XP) it does not automatically load my user profile. Instead the system halts on a screen where I need to click my user profile before it continues loading.

No idea what I did to cause this, nor how to turn it off again.

Can anybody tell me how to get rid of this as it is really annoying me.

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

I had the same problem some months ago but it disappeared after deleting the guest account. As I've seen the same recently on a client's pc I guess it's coming with an update of XP which I've chosen not to install instead, you know those not automatically updated.

KS,

check under control panel - user accounts. My guess is that there is more than one account, maybe one of them password protected.

When you have more than one user account (or guest user activated) XP will show you the welcome screen so you may choose the user to log on. Even if there's only one user shown (on the welcome screen) and the others are hidden.

There is another option I choose: I set up my user with a password. Then I activated autologon, choose my user and gave a password (using a tool named TweakNow PowerPack). Can be done via regedit as well. Works no matter how nany user accounts are created. As I wanted my user to be password protected (enabled sharing files and folders over the local network) autologon was the only way to log into my user at startup.

elef,

I can activate / deactivate the guest user. Guess that's what you meant.

Hi,

What the fuck? I just checked and there is an extra account called ASP.NET Machine A.

No idea what this is for and I am certain I never created it.

Just checked and found this: http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

I now wonder if this was created when I installed Warhammer, as the problems did kinda start around the same time.

Sanuk!

Leave you with a few options:

- delete that asp.net user. No idea what problems might arise, or possibly no problems at all.

- create a password for your own user and go via autologon

- install .net framework 2.0. Not sure but I installed 1.1 first, then 2.0. I can't find that asp.net user on my system and I did not delete it manually. Just a guess, but maybe the user was deleted when installing .net framwork 2.0.

Archived