Morocco

The_Munchmaster

......Essaouira (can't spell the place) is easy to get to. Get yourself over to Casablanca, take train to Marrakech and taxi from there.....In Ess, you get the freshest seafood grilled on the quayside.....If you're a little more athletic they also do kitesurfing on the beach......

Don't have my Morocco map handy, but isn't Marrakech way inland? :confused:

Unfortunately I'm working here so there won't be much time for travelling.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, Marrakech is inland and down south from where you are. It wasn't that expensive via taxi to Essaouria though.

If you're working I don't think that you've got the time to go down the country. It can be a pain in the arse, literally, as those coach journeys take hours.

Ah well. If you had more time you could have shot down the country and took a left at Marrakech into the Atlas, and further on to the Sahara. Some groovy little places up in the Todra Gorge region. Fuck all to do but quite pleasant. And you've got to go see Ait Benhaddou some time. Old mud village - been used in a number of movies as a backdrop. There's actually a film studio not that far away from it as well where I think they shot part of Babel. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Tangiers - like stepping back in time to the 1950's. I'm sure some of those pubs still sell Party Sevens and Watneys Pale Ale. Apparently it was once famous for housing Malcolm Forbes, billionaire bumboy, who used to have lavish parties involving the Moroccan cavalry engaging in charges up and down. Although I'm sure he wasn't admiring their horsemanship skills. :o

Tangiers in the port / Medina area is probably the roughest place I've been. It was like a scene from the exercise yard in Midnight Express! First day I'm walking around with my DSLR, but felt so uneasy carrying something so expensive around with me, that I had to take it back to the hotel.

Yes it can be quite uncomfortable when a Moroccan man gives you the eye. :o But it's probably not what you think. They were probably checking out your ass! :grin: Had a guy hit on me in a supermarket in downtown Tunis, albeit another northafrican country but one also renowned for fruitiness, a few years ago. It's gotta be a cultural thing. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Agadir about ten years back when I was a student. We were in Morocco for a field trip.

We, all guys of about 18-20, headed out for some fun. We were befriended by a couple of local guys who said they'd take us to a good local nightclub.

So, we end up in some f**ked up brothel, the only white people there. There were lots of Asian hookers there, could have been Thai, I hadn't been to Thailand at that time. They were being pretty badly handled by the local guys and we were being told to take our pick :shocked:

Being good Catholic students, and being surrounded by a bunch of very dodgy Moroccans in a LOCKED "club", we declined the offer.

When a guy sat me down and started telling me he wanted to sell me a few kilos of hashish, I decided we should make a run for it.

We got up, made our excuses and headed for the door. We ended up PAYING to get out! Not much, but we were glad to leave.

I remember on ISG a guy used to post up photos of Moroccan girls he took to his apartment. He particularly liked banging them while they were wearing headscarves.

Me made out that it is pretty easy to pick up girls in Morocco. His MO was simply to approach girls in super markets or parks and invite them back to his place. He reckoned that quite a few took him up on his offer. Some of them were quite cute!

Archived