Comments from a Thai businessman leaching off the USA...

I spent 8 months in Bangkok with my wife, who is Thai. In all that time, I must say that almost everyone I met (both Thai and expat alike) were very pleasant and accomodating.

Being an American, I felt a little isolated at first but soon began to realize how great it was to be in a country where all nationalities can get along, side-by-side, without conflict. Despite many of the minor annoyances (so precisely documented by BKK Phil!), I always thought Bangkok was a pretty safe and friendly place to be.

My wife recently took a waitressing job for a Thai restaurant located here in the USA. The owner has four Thai's working for him, 10 to 13 hours per day, illegally. My wife was shocked to find out that they were being paid meager wages, working very long hours and then had to re-imburse the restaurant owner for plane tickets to Thailand and back, etc. Granted, they shouldn't be working here anyway on a tourist visa but what an asshole this Thai man is to treat his own people this way.

All four people are sharing an apartment and one of the cooks (who is a very nice guy) has to sleep on the floor after working 12 hours a day. I gave him a futon last weekend and you'd have thought I'd have given him a million dollars!

Anyway, my wife was disgusted with the owner and took a better job elsewhere. She called about her final paycheck on the day of the WTC attack. She asked the Thai owner if he knew about it and he replied "Who cares? My family wasn't there so who gives a goddamn about those other people."

Can you imagine what would happen to an expat who said something like this in Thailand about the king if there were a tragedy concerning the Royal family?

I'm thinking of reporting this clown to INS in hopes that they kick his worthless ass out of the country. I guess he wasn't too concerned about the Thai's who probably lost their lives in the attack either!

I think you are morally obligated to turn the bastard in to ins.

Get the workers a good layer, the owner will loose his business, the workers will return to thailand with a good nest egg.

(* I hope)

Wasn't it a thai couple that was running a brother in NYC a while back, just short of slavery, using thai girls?

they got busted, but not much more news about it after.

"I'm thinking of reporting this clown to INS in hopes that they kick his worthless ass out of the country"

Don't bother, the INS has completely given up when it comes to enforcing any laws against immigrants who are already in the country. This is not an exaggeration. My local paper had some statistics recently showing that enforcement against employers who hire undocumented workers has gone down 90% in the past 10 years! I don't know what state you are in, but here in Colorado we are being completely overrun by illegals from Mexico who insist on: urinating in my apartment complex parking lot, parking in my reserved spot, drinking and leaving their beer bottles everywhere, blaring their stereos, hanging out and screaming till all hours of the night, driving w/o license, registration or insurance, littering although a garbage can is only a few feet away etc. Needless to say, I am looking to move to North Dakota!

Jay,

Didn't Hono post something, a month or two back, on the Thai Farang board, about a Thai business man in Hawaii who had been reported to the INS and who was subsequently deported despite having been in Hawaii for a long time and being well respected in the community?

I don't think that his misdeed was illegal treatment of his employees, but whatever it was the INS did take action against him.

I think it would be worth reporting this guy. There's much less chance that something will be done if nobody files a complaint.

Also, maybe there are other government agencies that would be more effective places to lodge complaints. If he's violating labor laws and can be convicted of those things, it might elevate his profile to the point where the INS would be more inclined to take action as well.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

"I'm thinking of reporting this clown to INS in hopes that they kick his worthless ass out of the country"

Don't bother, the INS has completely given up when it comes to enforcing any laws against immigrants who are already in the country. ...

The INS has an 800 number where you can report someone anon. I know for a fact that this is a very effective way to deport illegal immigrants. The important thing is to give as much detail as possible, especially regarding the way he is treating his employees. Also give them his home address and phone number if you know it.

This sums up the depressing utter selfishness of Thai society i am afraid. One of my Thai staff commented as it was all rolling out:

"do you know, there is a a Thai in there I just heard"

We really shouldn't be surprised.

Unfortunately they, including the 'educated' ones, are brought up and brainwashed into being cringeing, worshiping peasants to the Thai Royal family, powerful families and the Thai flag.

"The INS has an 800 number where you can report someone anon. I know for a fact that this is a very effective way to deport illegal immigrants."

If you want to remain anonymous, you need to call from a pay phone. When you call and 800 number your name and number automatically shows up on their Caller ID.

I used to work in the Admissions Section of a juvenile jail. I speak Spanish very well and was always able to pick out who was undocumented. I called the INS enforcement division a few times. They came down once and told me that in the future to only call them if the crime involved violent felonies. They weren't interested in picking up illegals who were being held on outstanding warrants for traffic court or shoplifting etc.

Bill

Turn the fucker in!! it is time to start getting rid of these people!( Leeching exploiter type businessmen)

Jay and Utah

Think you got it bad? try living in California!! Where these guys will tell you, "...this used to be my country..." I suppose they're right.

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

Archived