Soi Cowboy in no immediate danger?

junglesoup

I have been going to Thailand a long time now less and less bars from years ago on Sukumvit

Now let's see who's willing to argue that there are actually more bars from years ago on Sukhumvit than there used to be... ;)

:) Siam

Clinton Plaza, Soi 10, Asoke Beer Bars, and Soi 0 are gone. Don't think the new bars on Soi 7 has made up for that unless I'm totally missing another area. Also assuming the number of bars in Cowboy and Nana(including those down Soi 4) have remained relatively constant. Please keep in mind that I hardly spend much time in Bangkok nowadays so don't have perfect information. Heard Washington Square is the next bar area to go.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soi 1 is that shopping center type complex with about 4 bars with skeleton staff of rough looking girls I was at last March, I think? I consider Soi 22 where Bourbon Street is Washington Square, which has always been there and is supposedly slated for demolition. Soi 6?

Did Soi 1, 7, and Queens Park Plaza on Soi 22 really replace or exceed the number of bars lost with the departure of Clinton Plaza, Soi 10, Asoke Beer Bars, and Soi 0? I enjoyed the Bangkok nightlife a lot more when Clinton Plaza, Soi 10, Asoke Beer Bars, and Soi 0 were around. Nowadays I spend my of my time in Pattaya, and if I do come to Bangkok, it is for shopping at the end of my trip, and I bring a Pattaya girl with me.

But Clinton Plaza, Soi 10 & the Asoke beer bars only sprung up a few years ago anyway and, apart from Dollhouse, never looked permanent.

The Asoke bars were obviously temporary from the start while the Clinton bars were practically made of cardboard. They weren't exactly fixtures of the scene - even Soi 0 was dying naturally.

For me, it's always been Nana, Cowboy and Patpong and those relatively new, crappy, garish beer bars didn't add anything. In fact, they've had a negative impact on Nana, Cowboy and Patpong because their unignorable in-your-face-ness encouraged Thais to crack down on the big 3 areas that they'd previously left alone. :thumbdown:

I've had some good times at Clinton(especially the Dollhouse A Go Go), Asoke, and Soi 10. Clinton Plaza started out as a group of beer bars in 1998 and added go go bars in 2000 before it was shut down in May of 2003. Soi 10 had about 120 bars and other businesses before this plot of land was destroyed in January 2003. I even found a few diamonds in the rough on Soi 0. Soi 1 seems to have replaced Soi 0 as having some of the roughest and ugliest girls working in bars on Sukhumvit(and it doesn't look permanent, either. :smirk:). Not impressed with the bars on Soi 7(except maybe Absolute 7 Bar-which is a good place to bring your date/barfine), and Washington Square will be demolished in a few years.

120 bars on Soi 10!?! You must have been :drunk::drunk::drunk: . Less than 30 is what I remember plus laundry plus souvenir shops plus tailor shop.

I usually try to verify facts before I post. But the times I have been there, I have been inebriated, and usually sat in the bars next to the road on Sukhumvit without venturing further inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuvit_Garden

Now what bars of significance are on Soi 6 again? Or Soi 1 for that matter. :confused:

Archived