Soi Cowboy in no immediate danger?

junglesoup

While browsing the Skycrapercity Thai forum, where you can get good uypdates on real estate/property market I came across this threa where someone questioned how long soi cowboy would remain...

Here it is...

[color:red]Quote:Originally Posted by CooperNZ

How long will Soi Cowboy hold out with this prestigious complex as a neighbour? (Memories of Giuliani's Time Square campaign...)[/color]

[color:orange]A shopowner in the vicinity of Asoke BTS station told me the mafias running Soi Cowboy have no immediate plans to leave or contemplate any offers!

She also told me negotiations between Asoke Market owners (along with Temple) and prospective buyers have broken off. Lotus had some plans for a store at some point.

Shopkeepers in the area seem more concerned about the shop-houses next to Asoke Complex trying to stake out there until they are given what they want. They would like to see all those hedious looking shop-houses go...for obvious reasons... Also, they harbour no expectations about Soi Cowboy disappearing within their lifetimes...

It's quite an interesting intersection... people with mandates and cash in hand trying to secure space.. a lot of gossip going around...

[/color]

My question is this...

While it seems that there is no danger do you think these nightlife spots are under danger from more upmarket establishments?

Are they really run by mafia?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are indeed run by the Mafia who are aided and abetted by the gentleman from the Thai police.

A Thai police general friend of mine laughs and says well "the big bawd" decided many decades ago to keep the farangs hidden as much as possible in as few spots as possible."We need the business but dont want them spread all over" Hence Nana and SC and PP. Each is controlled by a different set of of Chinese Thais Indians and the odd Mafia ,MIB enforcer mix as far as I know.

I dont think it will go anywhere... :smirk:

Ratchada well thats Thai and who cares its looks good from the outside...

)

In 2 years Nana will be gone

the others follow within the next 5 years!

Bkk will be hooker clean, not even street hookers, only freelancers in the discos!

Don't believe it? Ask a bar owner at Nana what's the word on the new leases for 2008! There are some breathtaking rumors going around for 3 weeks!

Yeah right.

In 2004 it was supposed to be gone by 2006. In 2002 it was supposed to be gone by 2004, and so on and so on....

Guess what? It's still there.

Not going to happen.

As other posters have said, rumours have been going around for years.

Despite increasing numbers of punters going to Pattaya, there still is going to be a certain number of punters who prefer Bangkok, and there will always be a market for the girls there.

If Nana/SC did close, then they'd just move somewhere else.

Anyway, too many police / government officials have vested interests in the bars, so I don't think it will happen in the forseeable future.

In 2 years Nana will be gone

the others follow within the next 5 years!

Bkk will be hooker clean, not even street hookers, only freelancers in the discos!

Don't believe it? Ask a bar owner at Nana what's the word on the new leases for 2008! There are some breathtaking rumors going around for 3 weeks!

That would be hilarious. All the farang, Koreans, Japanese et al would move into the Thai areas pushing the prices up and the Thais out :D

Archived