Living in Phuket

The_Munchmaster

I have the opportunity to move to Thailand on a permanent basis and live in Phuket, working in a construction related field. I have lived in LOS before, for 7 years, but that was in the mid 90's and I was based in Bangkok. I know it's a great place to go for a fun beach holiday but what is it really like as a home?

When I first moved to bangkok and started looking for a job [2001] I got three interviews in Phuket. One of the companies had a representative in Bangkok so I made an appointment, interviewed, and got the job. I was getting no play on my resume in Bangkok and the idea of living on a tropical island was appealling so off i went.

Phuket is a little different than Bangkok, of course there is the obvious reasons, but it makes for a really nice place to live.

I was there for almost two years. Most of the time I lived in Phuket Town, surprisingly complex to learn the traffic patterns, but after a week it was great. Phuket Town has a clearly defined upper, middle, and lower class. The easy island life.

It resembles a working class town in america in a lot of respects. When summer time hits, and all the vacationers go away, scores of kids return home from college. It's nice to see people with whom I could relate to in their opportunities. Kids like I was. My parents weren't wealthy, but I got a good public school education, got to go to university, and had a good opportunity to make something of myself [what happened].

Sometimes bangkok can be oppressive when you look around and see so many people stuck in a job that you know you couldn't tolerate. Phuket doesn't have that, sure Patong does but the rest of the island is great.

If you have a family it's a great spot. If your single it's an unbelieveable spot. Lots for everyone to do, even a lot of free stuff: waterfalls, hiking, beaches, sunsets...

Patong nightlife is a tiny speck compared to pattaya or bangkok, you will get known very quickly so move slowly and make sure you are picking winners from day one.

The neighboring Phangna province is also really cool for daytrips and weekends.

I found several different apartments and moved about the island. The roadways can get a bit treacherous at night. In 2001 it was cheaper than Bangkok. I paid 6000 baht for an apartment with full cable, hot water, really nice gym, really nice pool, and a maid. Right smack in Phuket town. The beaches get a bit easier, but in low season you can cut great deals with some of the smaller hotels in Kata and Karon - 5000 baht a month / 200 yards from Karon Beach.

Be forewarned, the island lifestyle will creep up on you and kick you right in the balls. Before long you won't want to leave.

Anyone visiting Phuket should make sure to make a trip to 'SUPERCHEAP'

Munchmaster,

Check out real nice areas like Rawai for living. Not sure if that the right spot for a single person, maybe too quiet?

Phuket has lots of things to offer, shopping wise there's Big C, Lotus and a small Central shopping mall etc, all pretty much together within a mile or so from each other.

Loads of other things to do, Buddha for once got a comprehensive post together with some sound views and advice.

Actually I think if you review the history of my posts it wasn't until the last 5 months were things started to get blurry.

Back to phuket....

Do you know where you will be working from, what part of the island? I can give some very helpful advice if you give me the general area.

No doubt...Phuket has good infastructure outside of the way Patong Hill was laid out, smooth macadum, working traffic signals, clean roads [not all sandy like samuii], and yet there are some real nutjobs zipping around at high speeds.

Patong hill was canted for water runoff so a good deal of the turns bank the wrong way. It's difficult to picture but when you are leaning into a turn something feels off. When it rains it can be interesting. Also don't follow a diesel too closely up the hill as when he downshifts a nice spattering of oil can get sprayed on the road.

At the chinese Temple in Phuket Town they publish color photos on a bulletin board of the most recent gory accidents to make people aware of the danger.

Do they still have the weird helmet rule where from 6pm to 6am you don't have to wear a helmet?

It is a necessity to have something to combat the high tuk tuk and snail like songthaews. A car would be ideal, a bike will do the trick. A reliable bike can be had for well under 30k baht. just wear a helmet and go slow. If your are not used to a motorcycle just traet it like a bicycle and go 20 kph on the shoulder until you feel comfortable.

The northern beach areas surin, kamala, and above can have some sandy roadways. The major roads are in good shape with no reason for danger other than the idiot factor of drunks and crazys racing around.

Exploring the island by bike is a great activity in itself.

Archived