Laos Peoples Democratic Republic

SiLeakHunt

Before the commies took over, all of the bars/brothels seemed to be owned by Vietnamese. They'd always have a photo of the Lao king on one wall and President Thieu of SVN on the opposite. I've forgotten what a shag cost -- probably something ridiculously cheap. Back then Wiengchan was cheaper than even upcountry Thailand. There were still Lao coins in circulation. Now the smallest note is something like 100 kip and a meal costs you around 3,000 kip.

In the '70s the Lao gals were still into miniskirts and long hair. Sigh ...

Used to ride a boat across the Mekhong and then take the bus into town from Thadua. No bridge then.

Lots of paved streets now though. The reds did that much. I miss the wongwien at the monument though. They shouldn't have messed with that.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Reet

Iâ??m still in Laos and Iâ??m starting to write a trip report which says a lot for the place......

Maybe your initial sentence might have better said your 'report says something about my experience in Vientiane'...as it doesn't reflect on the country or people at all!!

I just returned to my home in Pattaya, having ridden 8000-km by dirt bike, through Cambo, Laos and returning to Thailand to tour some areas of Issan I'd not seen.

I found the Laotians in both cities and in the remote villages quite friendly and willing to assist a stranger. _Never_ did I experience the price gouging that Thai's try with farangs.

French influence, such as architecture is in the larger communities, but ironically the French baguettes that are everywhere in Cambo, were seldom seen in Laos. All paved road were well signed in English...and mostly non-existant in the country.

I try to avoid most areas laden with boring backpackers, who predictable are found in certain areas of Laos (as well as Cambo & Thailand), as well as tourist centers which never accurately reflect a country . I avoided Vientiane and Veng Vieng like the plague, but did see Luang Prabang (which was laden shops and a night market geared for the hordes of backpackers and tourists!).

I travelled the length of Laos, from northern Cambo to the Chinese border. I found the countryside, diverse geography and people quite inspiring.

Your view may reflect Vientiane, but similarly someone who has only visited Pattaya is really clueless about Thailand.

<< but ironically the French baguettes that are everywhere in Cambo, were seldom seen in Laos. >>

Maybe outside of Wiengchan, but they are all over in the Laotian capital. Much better than the baguettes I've found in Bangkok too. One difference I noticed was that in the 1970s the people in Wiengchan ate baguettes and hot cocoa for breakfast! Now they more sensibly have baguettes and coffee.

p.s. You did all that on a bike?? :)

:worship: :thumbup:

Flashermac...

Yep...all on a used Suzuki 250cc Djebel I bought last Dec...the first motorcycle I've ever owned. Though I'd learned to ride on rental and friends bikes in Cambo. My little moto, which I use in Pattaya, doesn't count...and after the trip, I felt it was like getting on a kids tricycle.

Baguettes in Cambo are great...those from Tesco-Lotus, Big-C are okay at best...and sometimes Carrefour has only marginal ones. Even if Vientiane has great baguettes, I'd still avoid the place!

Dunno about Laos but situation re bike riding just changed within past week or so in Cambodia. You now need a licence. If you've got your own licence then can apply for Cambo licence and takes about 4 weeks. Otherwise take test here. Was told that in a police operation last week they impounded 70 bikes ridden by foreigners in one day down by the Golden Lions roundabout in Sihanoukville. The cops blocked off side exit roads on the approach too. This is the roundabout nearest the big backpacker area of Serendipity Beach.

Was told that for a foreigner to get his bike released cost something like $200 whilst a Cambo can get theirs back, if they no licence, for $10. Considering you can buy a new moped for $499 that's a lot of cash to shell out. Some of the bike hirers are losing a lot of money as young backpackers are no longer scooting around in droves. Plus local expats are also having to use moto guys who consequently have put up their prices.

Archived