Laos Peoples Democratic Republic

SiLeakHunt

Rookie, what did you need in terms of documents to cross those borders with a bike? I heard the Thai and Lao had a war on about falang crossing borders on bikes.

The problem is _only_ at the Friendship Bridge and with Thai licensed bikes. There is some goofus in VTE that started and contunues the ban...BUT it is only enforced (sometimes) at the Bridge...and NOT at any other entry point to Laos

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well some of the impetus for this 'crackdown', which is only in Snooky at this time, is that the motodops have/had collected funds to have the cops enforce a ban mainly on rental bikes. But, others with non-rental bikes are also stopped and checked for Cambo licenses.

Two options to avoid this hassle (which may be temporary):

1-Have a valid (and legal) Intern'l Drivers License.

2-get a Cambo license which requires the following:

* 3 passport photos

* Copy of passport and visa

* Original PHOTO license from your home country

* Address in Phnom Penh (use your hotel, etc)

* $30 cash

* 4 weeks wait

* You have a receipt which serves as license in the interim

You can also apply for a license from Lucky-Lucky Motos (on Monivong)...for $35...which may well be processed faster that one obtained from the gov't

Dunno about Laos but situation re bike riding just changed within past week or so in Cambodia. You now need a licence. If you've got your own licence then can apply for Cambo licence and takes about 4 weeks. Otherwise take test here. Was told that in a police operation last week they impounded 70 bikes ridden by foreigners in one day down by the Golden Lions roundabout in Sihanoukville. .....

Probably right about just Sinville as there were no probs in Koh Kong at start of last week. Mostly moped rentals there although the German guy running Neptune Guesthouse had 2 or 3 dirt bikes for 500 baht a day. Mopeds about 150 baht or less. :thumbup:

You need a photo licence? Sheet. :o I've got an old paper one, although got full bike licence on it along with a few endorsements for speeding!

Was told that they tried this a couple of years ago in Sinville and it blew over after a while. Apparently they always try some sort of scam to increase police coffers before Khmer New Year.

Haven't seen any riceburning crotch rockets for rent here just a few dirtbikes and mopeds. There's supposed to be a place around Weather Station Hill where you can rent a Buell but haven't spotted it yet. :confused:

Fug me, just started pissing down. Can hardly hear myself think to type as this internet cafe is next to a large tin awning covered dining area and it's coming down in buckets.

I have always found Vientiane to be charming, much like the Lao people in general if you did deep enough.

I always get sick of hearing advice like "Laos is fucking shit, Thailands waaay better" when im having a beer in Vientiane.

yaaaaawn

Whenever the topic of conversation comes up comparing Thailand to Cambodia, where I currently am, the general consensus is that people here are nicer than the Thais. More genuine. Kinder. More respectful. Less likely to try to cheat you. Plus genuine smiles. Those that have also got Laos experience say that in Laos it's similar to Cambodia with genuinely lovely people.

Probably 'cos they haven't met so many westerners yet and don't know what wankers we are. Just wait till they meet some globe trotting British hooligans :crazy:

One of the French bar owners was talking the other night saying how Cambodians are fairly hardy and scared of little. He mentioned how his missus is not afraid of snakes and how when she was a kid there were some people killed by a tiger in her village so they went out with spears looking for it. Including her aged 10! :crazy:

However one thing he said that they are scared of is lightning. Because they don't have any understanding of it. Must be a superstitious thing.

Thailand has changed a lot since I first came here in 1973. It is much more materialistic. Laos reminds me of Thailand back in the 1970s.

But even in the 1970s Bangkok Thais would say to me, "You are so lucky not to live in Bangkok. People are so much nicer upcountry."

• 1 month later...

You can't win really.

Koh samui is becoming too westernized, pricey, unfriendly, scamming even while on the other hand Vientienne is still too boring, unhappening, currency too hard to cope with etc. :crazy:

Laos have always held a special place in my heart though as it stands out as a very mellow & subdued kinda place & hell I even managed to get laid there on my first visit as well as my most recent - with the same chic ;)

I hope SLH alternative 'review' should be taken light-heartedly twist unless I'm mistaken :)

Of course not all newbies manage to 'crack' a new country in a few days ;)

Archived