Overstay information requested

Hey guys....looking for first-hand knowledge as I am probably going to run into an overstay issue.

I entered Thailand on Feb 1st and am admitted until Mar 2nd, according to the stamp in my passport. I had planned on leaving long ago but was having too much fun and decided to stay the full 30 days. I am airline staff and must travel on my own airline only, due to circumstances beyond my control. I checked today and my flight is very very boderline as to whether or not I will make in tomorrow, March 2nd. I can only leave if there is an open seat.

So my questions are:

Will I encounter any major problem upon leaving? (other than the 500 baht a day overstay fine)

I may stay an extra few days as the midwest of the U.S. apparently has been dumped on with snow. Flight from Tokyo to Minneapolis was cancelled on the 1st and I just wanna make sure all is cleaned up before I leave.

Also, will I receive an overstay stamp in my passport and will that affect my entry in the U.S. as far as going through secondary immigration? (strip search?)

And upon arrival next time in Thailand, will I have entry problems and if so, what should I expect?

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best to avoid any overstays in most cases.

Sounds like you got a 30 day visa exempt entry. You can extend this up to 10 days for 1900B at immigration.

If you overstay the fine is 500B/day (no pay for one day overstay at airports) and likely won't affect your future return. BUT if you are stopped by authorities in Thailand with an overstay you will be sent to jail and deported using formal procedures.

Thanks for the reply.......you say I can extend it 10 days for 1900 baht at immigration. Does this have to be done before the 30 days is up, during the 10 days extra or can it be done when departing? And I'm guessing when you say at immigration, you are saying I need to go to the airport to do this?

What you can do is get yourself on a visa run to Cambo from one of the companies like thaivisa run or something doo a google on thai visa run services and they'll get you on a minibus over the border to cambo for a couple of thousand (or less) with 30 days and a weight off your mind.

Cheers

I appreciate your help SLH but I will not need 30 days. I know it's not good to have an overstay but I will try to leave on the 3rd and overstay by just one day. Not sure if a visa run somewhere is worth it for a day overstay.

Think I might just forget it for tomorrow and hopefully won't get arrested for anything before I leave. I have heard and Palatkik I believe mentioned this, a 1 day overstay is not fined and hopefully no overstay stamp in the passport. I'll report my results when I find out. Thanks again..... :thumbup:

P.S. I guess one good thing is now I will attend my first meeting at Gullivers.

I have heard and Palatkik I believe mentioned this, a 1 day overstay is not fined and hopefully no overstay stamp in the passport.

Afaik no fine for one day overstay on airport departures, but might well be stamped in your passport, though will have no affect on return trips in future.

No you cannot extend at immigration (office in Bangkok and other cities not airport) after it expires afaik. Otherwise you are effectively turning yourself in as an over stayer to authorities and risk the jail route out (perhaps others can confer as I have never even considered attempting this? )

Archived