first time los

Muscat certainly not Bangkok, but IMHO is by far the nicest of the Gulf states. Unlike UAE for instance there is a culture, scenery etc. Omanis are wonderful people.

Yes you can drink there.

hotel to stay at Al Bustan Palace on theoutskirts of town but a terrific resort hotel, beautiful to look at.

No doubt this time you will only see the airport lounge.

Next time it is worth a stop over

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

5. Cameras are no cheaper in Thailand than the UK.

Depends on where you buy from, I agree that if you are buying a low end camera then you might not save anything.Never buy from a department store!!

I always use CAPA camera on Sukhumvit 71. Its mainly high end Canon and Nikon gear, but they also have a large range of second hand gear. I recently bought a New Nikon F100 saving 200 pounds on the best price in the UK. This is a proffesional camera however and the savings on cameras lower in the range is smaller.

Geat shop though, good service, and they also rent equipment by the day.

Cheers

Roger

Hi DJ

I can well believe the price paid by WHOOPS as a couple of days ago I was trying to book a flight to the LOS from the UK for one month in August and the best the Travel Agent could turn up was £1,000!! (by BA)

(BTW I also spent a lot of time on the net checking flights - but although their were lots of cheap flights advertised, their was alledgedly no availability :-(

Of course I probably missed a few offers....

Anyway, to console myself I ended up booking a six month open return leaving at the begining of October for £510.00 - a bit more than I wanted, but this is by Swissair as they fly from Jersey to Zurich and then direct to the LOS a couple of hours later and it saves me the aggro of going to the UK, especially now we have lost our link to Heathrow.

Whilst I would agree that a bit of advance reading would be no bad thing for WHOOPS, IMHO as long as he gets a Hotel in the "right" ;-) area then it is not essential. He has already done more research than I did on my first trip to the LOS!

Be aware that Nana hotel is a popular hotel. I tried it on two occassions in April, but with no luck as it was full. You can make a reservation on their Web site. The hotel

service at the airport (THA at least) isn't so bad; you get the walk-in rates.

David 66 UK,

Yeah I've always found BA to be expensive, and what was said about booking a long time in advance to get the best rates is absolutely true, I usually book at least 6 months in advance to get the £430 rate or thereabouts that I usually pay. Incidentally I have always phoned travel agents directly and never booked on the net, I've found no need.

An open return for £510 sounds like a good deal though.

I agree about reading up being non-essential, although it's always a good idea to be forewarned I think. I can't complain anyway as I knew absolutely nothing about the scene when I first came to LOS, except that BKK had a red light area somewhere. Beyond that I knew nothing but I still had the time of my life and became a LOS addict. This is something Whoops and others yet to discover the reality of the place should take seriously, it is an addiction and in some cases can completely take over people's lives. I have mine under control but if you're not particularly strong willed you could be heading for problems long term. A reality check every now and then is needed at first.

Oh, and I know a lot of guys won't like me saying this and yes I probably am a cheap charlie but please don't overpay, especially the girls. Handing out 2000, 2500 baht LT just makes you look like a chump IMHO. My standard offering is 1000 baht LT and I rarely have any problems with girls saying it's not enough, even from go-gos. I don't get it when people pay a lot more, why? Well actually I know why I just don't agree. Each to his own of course but it's going to get very expensive to sanuk in LOS the day the girls expect 2000 baht LT every time and pull a face at anything less.

Whoops, you'll have a ball but know what you're getting into, that's what I meant in my other post, and keep one foot in reality at all times. I'll now assume for the moment you're not a troll, LOL!

Cheers, Deejay.

David 66 UK

So you're in the Channel Islands. I'd be interested to know whether there are many Thai girls there. I know it sounds like a silly question but the reason I ask is because I knew a woman here in the UK a few years ago who used to work in the CI. She told me that there were a few Thai girls who'd formed a dance troupe. They were apparently married to coach drivers who did tours round Jersey. She was there in the early to mid '90s.

With regard to the original poster, you've paid a lot of cash. It's not high season for tourists. There's a travel section on this board and I posted recently about a deal with Royal Jordanian for £348.50 including tax via Amman, Jordan. They serve booze my younger brother tells me as he flew them to Jordan about 4 years ago. I subscribed to one of those internet cheap flight sites that send reminders of good deals. Never have they found me anything cheaper that I couldn't have found in the back of the Sunday papers. It means a few phone calls but you can get a good deal and not necessarily with Aeroflot, (what a piece of shit airline that is, apart from the Heathrow to Moscow section).

Re: accomodation, I think that Nana Hotel is a wise choice. Right opposite Nana Entertainment Plaza. Spitting distance to Sukhumvit Road for easy access to Buckskin Joe's Village, Soi Cowboy, Clinton Entertainment Plaza or Thermae Coffee Shop if you want variety. Plus very close to the Skytrain for easy access to most of the other parts of the city that you may wish to visit such as Mahboonkrong Shopping Centre for acres of cheap buys, Siam Square for eye candy and The Hard Rock Cafe etc. Plus the train goes all the way to the river, not far from the fabled Oriental Hotel if you wish to check it out.

Finally, you've got to learn to remember to think with your big head and not your little head as boy if you really are going for the first time and are not trolling you will experience a major league head-fuck.

Chock dii. wink.gif" border="0

Well i have done a lot off reading and I will not be falling in love or sending money to the girl or girls when i return back to England.

I have a general idea off what to expect thanks to all the links and advice from you lot.

I have just recieved an email from the Royalasia Hotel for a Suite.

1,380 per night. And no extra for guest.

Anabody stayed there and can you recomened it?

I have also decided that i will not be paying more than 1200 for LT with girls.

Also if I say BBBJ to the girls will they understand what i want or will i have to draw a picture. tongue.gif" border="0

Whoops ask them if they "smoke" and take it from there. Some will do it without but other bgs are adamant that you must use a condom. There's a thread on the board about bbbjs and someone mentioned catching the clap. So beware.

The price you've been quoted for the other hotel seems a bit steep. You need to check with them to see whether they mind if you take a bg to your room for the night. They may charge a joiner fee. That can be pricey. Plus, depending on the place you may find that you are in the minority as a sanuker and have to undertake the dreaded walk of shame to the lift/room. Then again you may not be fussed.

For your first time, Nana is good. Right on top of NEP. Close to all the other places you may want. Plus it has Angels disco downstairs where you'll find lots of hot chicas freelancing.

Then again it's up to you.

quote:

Originally posted by Sukhumvit:

Whoops ask them if they "smoke" and take it from there. Some will do it without but other bgs are adamant that you must use a condom. There's a thread on the board about bbbjs and someone mentioned catching the clap. So beware.

The price you've been quoted for the other hotel seems a bit steep. You need to check with them to see whether they mind if you take a bg to your room for the night. They may charge a joiner fee. That can be pricey. Plus, depending on the place you may find that you are in the minority as a sanuker and have to undertake the dreaded walk of shame to the lift/room. Then again you may not be fussed.

For your first time, Nana is good. Right on top of NEP. Close to all the other places you may want. Plus it has Angels disco downstairs where you'll find lots of hot chicas freelancing.

Then again it's up to you.

ps you've already checked for joiner fee so no worries there then.

Archived