Photography Questions.

Neon Ninja

I have not photographed monks in Thailand but I have in Laos and they were happy to pose while I fired off a whole roll of film. I asked first and they were quite agreeable. I think they liked the fact that I promised to sit down and chat with them in English and generally help them with the English for about an hour, ended up being two hours (very interesting mind you).

Stick

Yes, always a good idea to ask first. As for Lumpini, I seem to remember that cameras are allowed, but as to flash, you may not need it if you have "fast film" (400-800ASA). I think they (Lumpini) frown on video cameras, but I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I went there. If you do go to Lumpini, don't be fooled buy "scalpers" telling you it is sold out, and they have extra tickets to sell. Yes, these sleaze bag scalpers are everywhere! Enjoy!

When I first visited Thailand last year, I didn't take a lot of photos. Stupid Me took a 110 camera over there and NOBODY had film for it! Ended up buying a 'one step above a disposable' camera at some photolab place..

Well this year I bought a nice APS SLR camera with a couple of lenses and am taking a friend who is a photographer so we'll be wanting to take lots of pictures this time around.

At any rate, here go my questions...

Is it considered inappropriate to take pictures of monks? I know there are a lot of taboo's involving monks, which is why I ask... Buddism doesn't teach them that their soul will be captured by the camera or anything right? smile.gif" border="0 I was in Panthip plaza and missed out on a great shot of a monk in saffron robes testing out a new laptop at one of the vendor's booths. Would have made a great sort of 'different cultures in harmony' picture.... oh well...

How about Thai boxing? Will they let you use a camera at any of the major boxing arenas? If it's allowed how about using flash? I could see where it might be distracting to the contestants in the ring, but I've seen people taking flash photo's at US boxing events...

Thanks in advance for your responses!

-=/NN

Archived