Vietnam, is it still 3rd world?

scott808

me naming it but the addition isn't mine, ND. :grin:

It's hard to discuss it as it's very unclear. Third world in normal vocabulary means undeleveloped countries or developing countries. As said already 1st world is rather unchanged except Japan, 2nd world is missing, and a 4th world is added with countries like Zimbabwe.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well - we can add 2nd world here and I think people know instinctevly what we mean. Not a "Western" (Inc Japan here) world but something above 3rd world. ie Thailand, Malaysia, Sillypore, Korea I'd count as 2nd worlds.

I know some would say Korea and Sillypore now part of western world but they aren;t if you've spent any time there, add Taiwan too as a 2nd world

Consulted wikipedia which gives this definition

Fourth World may refer to:

Fourth World refers to "Least Developed Countries" or to other notably marginalized or oppressed groups, (ie. indigenous peoples) living in Third World or First World countries.

So no 2nd world - maybe inhabited by aliens? Tony Blair and GWB of course the most wellknown... :grin:

don't forget that for a good few board members, pattaya is the first (and their only) world. For these enlightened creatures, any place where renting female company takes twice as long, or costs twice as much, qualifies as the second world. three times as long or trice the expense? call it the third world. remaining parts of the planet are too far gone to even think about...

This qualify *perfectly* many guys on this board !!

:thumbup: :D

Just curious if this country is catching up with the rest of the world. Or is it still 3rd world.

i prefer in many things so called third world countries. And sometimes i'm not shure, if a first world country is not more likely a third world country...

:hmmm:

"So if they did have satellite dishes on the sides of their huts would that move them up a notch in the world development rankings?"

yep... guess it would be a factor... next one would be replace te hut with a house than as soon as they're able to eat popcorns and Coke in front of the Jerry Springer Show, those charming viets should be considered fully developped people...

But is having more money a sign of real development? Are the people themselves more educated? What about healthcare or life expectancy? Thailand doesn't even have a proper ambulance service.

To me, Thailand has a veneer of modernity: hHighways, hospitals, a shiney new airport, modern urban rail sustem etc.. But how sophisticated are the general population with regards to finances, insurance, saving for retirement etc?

Archived