Apple or MS

Solomick

Need some pro's or con's for both.

I am ordering a new sony with vista ultimate OS but I have been told that due to the fact I use my laptop more for DV/photo's autocad that I might be better suited to Apple.

I am also told I can still run most windows software through a paralell?

Having never used a Apple is there any board members who use appale and can give me some advise weither it's worth it?

Not through a parallel, it is a software called parallels! You are certainly and definitely better suited with an apple and all the programs you for video editing and picture editing are 100 times better and faster than anything available for PC. The new Vista is really good on a 64bit machine (AMD Processor) but Mac is simply Mac! Just consider a Mac 2 generations faster than a PC.

May I ask why you have chosen a sony? It is just a brand with the same hardware inside than other brands! I am sure you can get the same performance for a way lower price with companies like Dell or Acer! (assuming it is a laptop)

http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/b2c/init.do?shop=SST_GB_EN

model:VGNSZ4VWN/X.CEK

I already use sony laptops for the last 6 years and this is just the latest upgrade. As you see from the specs it quite stacked. But with all MS OS they have to much running in the back ground and slow up graphic work. I haven't used vista yet but I can imagine it's the same platform as XP. Hence the question would Apple be better.

You mention Avid, what kind of video work do you want to do??

Personally, i used to use PC, still do for work...have no choice...but Apple is just a better machine, faster, nicer to use, constantly updated, doesn't crash, always cutting edge...I have owned 8 Macs now...i have a PC laptop which i gave to a friend....

I'd wait for a little bit tho'...Apples product line is due a refresh very soon...next month allegedly....

All these plus the fact that Mac users don't have to contend with all the virus issues associated with a PC. My new Mac runs both Apple and Microsoft operating systems as some programs are not available for Mac. Many of Sony's electronics, (Mini Disc Recorders and others) will only allow you to download your recordings to a PC). Check out the MacBookPro line. You won't be disappointed.

I just upgraded to a macbook pro and I am really happy with the performance. I have always owned Mac's but sometimes get stuck on a pc at work.

The fact that it runs windows is essential for any type of testing and development, thats why I upgraded. I went from two laptops to one.

There will be a learning curve to making the switch: different key comands, and with Windows you have many more third party applications that may not be available to OSX. Since OSX became stable there is a growing development community.

I have used both Macs and PC's for video editing. The difference being:

A Mac can get more out of it's processor when it is running one single processor heavy application, say FInal Cut Pro. If you open Adobe Photoshop, while FCP is running, you will see a dramatic degradation of your processor speed.

While a PC cannot squeeze the same performance out of it's processor for one single application, it can have several big apps open and run them without a major loss of performance.

If you intend on running several things at once maybe you would like a pc. Processors are so fast now that you probably won't notice any loss of speed unless you are compressing or rendering gigantic movie files.

Note: avid will not run on a mac.

Need some pro's or con's for both.

I am ordering a new sony with vista ultimate OS but I have been told that due to the fact I use my laptop more for DV/photo's autocad that I might be better suited to Apple.

I am also told I can still run most windows software through a paralell?

Having never used a Apple is there any board members who use appale and can give me some advise weither it's worth it?

You mention autocad so I am assuming your referring to the architectual program. Like others have said you can buy parallels . Alternatively if it's for reading files only you can use e-drawings which is free from solidworks. As for iphoto,itunes,idvd,imovie you can't beat them for ease of use.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Archived