California Fitness not good for your phone

waerth

I was thinking for some time to start doing something to become fitter. With California Fitness opening in Esplanade close to my home, I decided to register as they had some nice offers. When I registered they insisted on my phonenumber.

Today I have had 5 phonecalls on my mobile by associated companies about all sort of deals and special offers. I am pretty p***** off about this. :onfire: :cussing:

I am bloody happy I paid cash and not by creditcard, *** knows what they would have deducted for special offers.

Waerth

That is pretty fucked up!

Anyone know if my USA 24 Hour Fitness card still gets me into California Fitness (same chain)?

Not that it matters much. I have three memberships here at home and I've been to the gym about once in the past year, so even if I'm staying at the Jasmine, the chances of bumping into me at California Wow are quite slim.

I loaned my LA Fitness card to a homeless friend so he could take a shower once in a while, but when the club upgraded their ID system to photos they took his picture. So I guess he's me now. :o

I was thinking for some time to start doing something to become fitter. With California Fitness opening in Esplanade close to my home, I decided to register as they had some nice offers. ...

may i know what package you managed to get?

i've been considering signing up, but find their sales tactics far too annoying to deal with. just want to walk in, put cash on the counter, get a card...

thanx

...When I registered they insisted on my phonenumber...

Man I am hyper-sensitive about that shit. As a matter of course for several years now, if anyone "needs" my number when I sign up for something, they get my fax number. That way, if they really important enough for them to want to call me they can send a fax. If they are too stupid to figure that the line they are calling is a fax line, then I do not want to deal with them anyway. My fax's ring is set on silent, so I am not bothered by any telemarketing calls to it.

If someone who does not need it requests my fax number, I "do not have one" to avoid fax spam.

Same with email. I have my own domain and set up throwaway mailboxes for that. When one gets too spamy, I just close it down.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks for the warning, as I've been thinking about joining. This is not the first bad comment I've heard about California Fitness. I'm also going to check out Fitness First and the place in Landmark hotel.

A few years ago in the US I joined Gold's gym. Good deal, though I had to sign a 1 year contract which I didn't mind doing. What really ticked me off though was that to drop my membership I had to send them a notice in writing via registered mail. They would not accept it by me handing it to them over the counter and wouldn't stop automatically charging my credit card until they received something like 30 days notice via registered mail. I complained to the better business bureau, who said they had lots of complaints about Gold's.

Thanks for the warning, as I've been thinking about joining. This is not the first bad comment I've heard about California Fitness. I'm also going to check out Fitness First and the place in Landmark hotel.

I was a member of Fitness First in the Landmark for two and a half years. I liked it there quite a bit.

However, when I moved it was closer to California Wow/Jasmine so I quit FF (month-to-month membership) and signed up for 3 years at California Wow.

I have been a member for 18 months now and California Wow keeps the place very clean and the equipment in excellent working order. But...

The staff is obnoxious. Even though my membership is good until Dec. '08 I get the 'upgrade your membership' spiel every time I go to work out (6 times weekly).

But, by far, the most aggravating thing about California Wow is the damn loud, loud, loud, repetitive music. I have talked to them about this many times - they ignore me. I had to stop taking my iPod because I cannot hear it from Wow's music loud volume.

FF was much better in this regard.

The best part of this whole thread is seeing that waerth will be getting physical at the gym. Can't wait to see you doing that Body Pump, my friend! :)

I'm also a member at California Wow and have talked to them about the music since they've opened. "Same song to long" is their format. It ruins an otherwise great place to workout. They are in need of a Music Dir., but they are clueless and don't give a shit!

They also telephoned my wife and me daily for months trying to sell yoga classes , spa, etc., even after talking with the American Sales Manager and asking him to take us off the list.

-O

for a Thai workout experience check out

Power Zone ..

Serious Thai and farang body builders heaving iron

& the room is full of Thai smiles ..

ages present most mornings .. 17 - 70

.. Thai women body building champions

+ they have supplements / protein

the gym is packed with energy most mornings after 9:30 or so..

Power Zone

Soi 23 Prachasongkroh Road

Din Dang, Bangkok

02 689-5298 (99)

Daily: Thb120 Monthly:Thb1200

Archived