Ten Rules of the Road / Right of Way (Thailand)

Lamock Chokaprret

Being somewhat new to being a regular driver in the Land of Smiles, I thought I might post my observations for other newbies as

The Ten Rules of the Road / Right of Way (Thailand)

1. If a bus is able to get his nose even one meter in front of yours, he has the right of way and may change into your lane without signaling or warning of any kind. In my wifeâ??s cleverly simple vernacular â??he win.â?Â

2. If the driver or a passenger of a bus waves at you, you must slow down and fall back.

3. If a bus is following extremely closely behind you, speed up you are moving too slowly. If traffic conditions do not support this action, you should change lanes immediately (signaling is optional).

4. Stay at least 100 meters away from any bus that carries excessive scrape marks along its sides.

5. When driving on a two lane highway and an oncoming driver wishes to pass the vehicle he is following, you must pull onto the shoulder to clear his path.

6. If a vehicle is making a U-turn in a divided intersection and the driver waves at the oncoming vehicles, up to three lanes of traffic are expected to stop and allow him to complete his U-turn.

7. Motorcycles may brush or lean against your vehicle while parked in traffic. Give them room to pass between you and cars next to or in front of you.

8. Regardless of how many lanes of traffic are allowed to turn, yield to any vehicle that chooses to use your lane to execute his turn. Lane markers are only a suggestion. Likewise you should yield to any vehicle turning into your lane regardless of whether the turn is allowed from that vehicleâ??s lane.

9. If a policeman waves at you to stop, pretend that you are talking to your wife and donâ??t see him. Likewise if he is gesticulating madly next to your window, nod and proceed because he has just indicated you have the right of way.

10 All Benzâ??s have the right of way at all times.

One more for pedestrians:

11. When you hear a motorcycleâ??s horn plaintively beeping behind you, you have obstructed his inalienable right to use the pedestrian walkway as his own personal motorway.

K Sanuk: Please feel free to move to Transportation section if you feel it lives there more appropriately.

12. When a pedestrian looks the wrong way and then steps out into the traffic, the pedestrian automatically has the right of way.

13. If there is a collision involving a Farang, the Farang is at fault. If the Farang hadn't been here, the accident wouldn't have happened.

14. Red lights are a warning that you should speed up so that you can run through them as quickly as possible.

15. Zebra crossings are areas reserved for motorcycle drivers to line up and wait for the light to their left or right to turn yellow, which will means they should go.

Archived