Ten Rules of the Road / Right of Way (Thailand)

Lamock Chokaprret

xxx. If you are not sure what lane to drive in, just drive in all of them!

xxxx. Lights at night are optional...try to keep them off so they won't burn out!!

xxxxx. If you see the lane that you want to merge into is blocked, be sure to get into that blocked lane so you can hold up traffic to get out of the blocked lane!!!!

13. If there is a collision involving a Farang, the Farang is at fault. If the Farang hadn't been here, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Flash,

Until last Tuesday I would have agreed with that comment 100%, but now I have experienced the opposite.

At a set of traffic lights I was in the middle lane going straight ahead and a motorcyle in the Left hand lane decided he wanted to make a right turn and tried to drive through me, 1 1/2 tonnes of Toyota SUV v 150 KG of a 125 cc motorcycle it is obvious who came of worse.

The motorcyclist bounced of the side of me and went down the road doing an impression of a low flying superman, and this happened right in front of a policeman who was directing traffic at the junction.

I pulled up at the side of the road, checked for damage, there was none he only hit me with his knee and elbow and only scraped some dirt off the car, then I walked over to the striken motorcyclist and the policeman expecting the worse.

Now my Thai is far from fluent, but I got the jist of the bollocking the policeman was administering to the motorcyclist, as I got to them I asked is everything OK, the policeman asked me was my car damaged I replied NO, he said No Problem you can go.

My Flabber was Gasted.

Archived