Over-the-hill Katoeys?

Big Kev

I know there have been discussions here of what happens to bar girls when they get a little long in the tooth. Stories of some who have saved enough money to live comfortably later in life, some who become Mamasans, some luck out with a farang hubby, some disappear.

Just wondering if anyone has ideas about where old katoeys usually end up. I'm sure there are some strange stories of what happens with these guys crazy.gif" border="0 if posters have info they care to share.

There is one katoey selling Som Tam outside of Thermae who is very poplar among the FL:s. Everyone seem to agree that she has a good heart. I suspect this is because she is quite keen on letting farang customers pay for the whole table. smile.gif" border="0

Her Som Tam though, can be quite good although quality varies. And if you are not into monster-hot you should let some of her helpers make it for you. Very few westerners can enjoy the strenght of the old katoeys pepper-mix in the salad! shocked.gif" border="0

Ha Ha! good question and I may have some of the answers for ya.

There is a Thai restaurant in Amsterdam called 'Bird' who's entire staff seems to be made up of over the hill katoeys. Maybe they get sent to Holland when they don't make the grade at Kings Castle 3?

Also when I first went to Thailand in '93 I caught a minibus from Kho San Rd (yes, I was a backpacker) to Ko Samet and the bus driver was...guess what? an over the hill katoey. When I got to Ko Samet one of the outdoor bars there was run by...an over the hill katoey.

So there are plenty of them around for sure laugh.gif" border="0

One Loy Krathong, or maybe somgkran, I was with the wife in the Thai temple in Wimbledon, South London. As usual there were a zillion Thais there and many that my wife knew from her happy-go-lucky days. Among them were two aging Katoeys. Now, when I say ageing they probably weren't that old. They just looked it. Their skin was getting leathery. Their lips were getting thinner. Their jaws were getting heavier. They were both married and living here but I wondered if their husbands were shocked to see that when Katoeys age they seem to age into looking like men. Maybe these two were simply a bad example or they'd stopped taking the necessary hormone pills but I'm sure they couldn't have looked quite that blokeish before.

By the way, I have no idea how they got married as the must both have sex-male stamped on their passports. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

There is a special home in Nakomsi tamarat

for katoeys. It's a self supportive organization making money by teaching women how to act like a real women. Classes such as how to smoke and enjoy it (mostly westren women in attendance) or how to attack farangs in a pack setting up a perimeter and security while moving in for the take down.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Kev:

Just wondering if anyone has ideas about where old katoeys usually end up. I'm sure there are some strange stories of what happens with these guys
crazy.gif" border="0
if posters have info they care to share.

I was at an exhibition opening in a small gallery the other night where the official party photographer was an ageing katoey. The artist is a fairly well-known political radical with a rather low opinion of US economic policies as they pertain to Thailand but, even so, I was shocked to see he and his colleagues sporting their shiny new t-shirts with smart colour portraits of Bin Laden on the chests - this in a Soi not far from Washington Square. I really don't think they realised the risk they were taking but I don't think the photographer had much of a clue whose portrait it was anyway. When asked why she was wearing it she predictably replied "Oh, he very handsome man"!

LG

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Archived