Heidelberg Project

As most of you know, I have been away from my hometown for quite a while. But I remembered this, the Heidelberg Project by a guy named Tyree Guyton. It was just getting started back in the mid-80s when I was "commuting" to Asia, but I thought it fascinating then. And moreso now.

Today was an awesome spring day, 80 degrees F, nice sunshine, with neat storm clouds in the background. And I had no customers to which to attend. Lucky me. I decided it was a fine day to explore the city and I was in the mood for Urban Art. So here's a few shots of my trip to Heidelberg St.

Yup, it is still a shit neighborhood. Some brothers were selling rock a few blocks away, as were some sistas selling their asses for said rock ("Yo, baby, what up. U a hansome white boy. You want some o'this?"). But at no time did I feel unsafe walking the three blocks that this encompasses. And the local homeowners, who were out enjoying this fine day, were quite friendly, especially when I related my memories of past art works that had changed or had been destroyed. And I even got to say hello and chat with the artist. He still lives here, even though he is quite famous now. His explanation of this: "The Heidelberg Project is very political. It not only speaks to politics but also religion and life in general. I set out to change the world and that change starts with me... And by changing me, I'm changing the world." Do peruse the website, it is cool IMHO.

A most excellent day indeed. Shit like this I do miss living in Bangkok, which has a pathetically small art scene for a city of its size.

Cheers,

SD

I love art where it becomes a community focus. There is the Annual Community Rights festival here each year. I pesonally am a big fan of a combination of installations and performance art. We have an annual event near my place called Sculptures By The Sea. Look forward to it every year.

<>

Clearly had their fix of 'rocks' already :grinyes::cover:

Whores are the same everywhere.......

.....they have good taste! LOL! :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

:neener:

Cheers,

SD

Archived