Mixed race children, what are their entitlements ?

torrenova

If a westerner has a baby with a Thai female, what entitlements does the baby have and what has to be done to preserve these rights etc. Specifically I refer this to British citizens.

What about registering births

Getting a passport

Dual citizenship

Passports

Child benefit from the government

I get conflicting messages from different sources and would like to clear things up. Thanks.

This link will answer some of your questions..

Immigration ..

Registering the birth can be done via the embassy as can a passport application.Everything is fine if you take on all the parenting responsibilites.

If you want to take a more distant role the obvious issues are of proof and liability. If you are the father and admit it then the child has rights but once the child arives in the UK you become liable for costs incurred through the benefits system via the child support agency/DSS who are likely to look at any assets owned in the UK.

JP

In this instance the child will not be going to live in the UK but I want to know what has to be done after birth and whether benefits such as Child Benefit is available to children living overseas. If so, what has to be done to protect these rights and benefits.

Whatever...no matter how tragic you feel this is, does it have any relevance here? The UK laws are much different regarding children born outside of the UK of citizen men and foreign women. Those children are NOT automatically eligible for a UK passport (unlike the US).

Torra, best advice is to check in with your embassy to get the straight scoop. All I do know is that is is quite complex.

Cheers,

SD

UK Child benefits are not payable to children who reside overseas. The only exceptions are the children of diplomatic and military personel on foreign duties.

Childe benefits UK

JP

Cheers for that but Child Benefits are not paid to the child rather the parent and usually the mother.

With a Thai mother, living in Thailand and with the baby residing in Thailand, I do not see why my having a residence in the UK would exclude me from receiving the benefits irrespective if I have to go away from "time to time on holiday or on business".

I presume I would only need the correct paperwork etc.

Archived