Swiss man jailed for 10 years for lese majeste

elef

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be hypocritical if the thai court didn't give a stiff sentence..actually he got off easy as he could have received 75 years..

The king and other symbols and images are vital to the thai culture. We might have different opinions but it does give them the framework for their culture..

I have no problem with it. Does anyone think he was ignorant of not knowing how the culture functions?

What is the difference of paying a fine of $1,000 for throwing out litter of your moving vehicle in the USA and this sentence? Both would seem ridiculous by other cultures...

A thai would think a fine of this magnitude is riduculous because they do the opposite in their culture. There is no enforecement of trash dumping and we see the consequences of that may I add...

So they have a harsh penalty for defacing something that is valued in their culture..Hell, in our culture, jay leno draws hitler mustaches on our leadership and people laugh....

Two different worlds collide. Sometimes ignorance and stupidity needs to pay the piper. He has only himself to blame but like a typical person, he or his laywer blamed the alcohol for his actions..There is a difference between "I did it" and "I am responsible for my actions"...

I wonder if he is a candidate for isolation?

Could be worse for him in jail than many other crimes/criminals we would think have done far worse but since judged by a different culture which has a different set of values and priorities....

I bet he won't answer the question from a Thai, "what are you in for?"

CB

Yep, my understanding was that this guy was a long-term resident and probably knew or should have known the score. I was responding to Julian2's inclusion of tourists/recent arrivals in the same category of "knowledgeable" people via his statement that "people" who visit the country should know about this stuff.

HH

HM the King is off limits in Thailand, Khun Sanuk rarely even allows discussion of him to go this far. It's a fact of life here, one of the royal inner circle was jailed a few years ago for attempting to introduce a nickname referring to his love of sailing.

It's one of the things I like about Thailand, the world needs a few sacred cows and more and more we're only showing respect to some one who kicks a ball better than any one else or looks pretty on the big screen.

My wife is a total cynic towards all things political on the local and world stage and last year she came home with golden Thai letters painted on her motorcycle.

"WTF is that?" I inquired.

"I tell the King I love him!" she said proudly.

Good on you darling, and any arsehole who defaces his picture is welcome to all he gets.

@last year she came home with golden Thai letters painted on her motorcycle.

"WTF is that?" I inquired.

"I tell the King I love him!" she said proudly.

Good on you darling, and any arsehole who defaces his picture is welcome to all he gets.@

looks like you got the wife you deserved... no surprise here...

A colleague has been married to his Thai wife for 30 plus years and has two grown children with her. There is no doubt she loves him, as clearly is evident when you see them together. Nevertheless, she told him one day where he stands in the male pecking order in her life: First comes the King. Second is her father, who raised her. Dear husband comes in third for the bronze medal.

Like it or not, that is Thai thinking. Bitch about it all you like, but you won't change a thing.

Archived