Swiss man jailed for 10 years for lese majeste

elef

and people who don't find out about this sort of thing before coming to Thailand get no sympathy from me.

Well, they get sympathy from me. What the f**K? They supposed to know all the do's and don'ts in a country before they visit. Mom and Pop on a 3 country tour with a group of grey-heads or some college kids probably don't spend a lot of time reading up on the criminal penalties for off the wall "crimes". Like saying that somebody from Europe who gets off a plane at LAX, rents a car and heads east 8 miles into Watts should not have any sympathy when they get shot at or robbed. Some tourists are like nuns in Shianghai.

HH

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nuns in Shanghai? you should include pics Hugh. ;)

Sure the mug tourist should be shown a modicum of tolerance but I hardly think that a drunk who smashes anything that's obviously well cared for and revered falls into this category. I've seen guys recommending flogging and branding for vandalism on this forum and now an offender has had a real fright for that offence a squeal of outrage goes up. Sure he won't serve ten years, the man he's insulted will see to that... but even if he does, what better way to get the message across?

and people who don't find out about this sort of thing before coming to Thailand get no sympathy from me.

Well' date=' they get sympathy from me. What the f**K? They supposed to know all the do's and don'ts in a country before they visit.

[/quote']

I read this guy had lived here 10 years already, so he knew some of the laws I would assume. Doesn't detract from the fact in this day and age the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

The Nation

Today

Link

Swiss man jailed for 10 years for lese majeste

yes, the guy's an idiot, no, he doesn't deserve 10 years, but he's also lucky...he easily could have been beaten to death on the spot by thai passersby, as the poor (thai) retarded man who destroyed the erawan shrine in bangkok last year was...

preahko

Guest lazyphil

The Thais have an unhealthy obsession (veiled as love and respect) for the 2 cult figures, Buddha/king. This Swiss guy was an idiot pure and simple but 10 years is so over the top its comical.

It just made the 1 oclock bbc news, between the marines in iran and the rekindled upcoming jim'll fix it tv show from the 70's :cool:

Well' date=' they get sympathy from me. What the f**K? They supposed to know all the do's and don'ts in a country before they visit.

[/quote']

I read this guy had lived here 10 years already, so he knew some of the laws I would assume. Doesn't detract from the fact in this day and age the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Fully agree with Palatkik on this.

"yes, the guy's an idiot, no, he doesn't deserve 10 years, but he's also lucky...he easily could have been beaten to death on the spot by thai passersby, as the poor (thai) retarded man who destroyed the erawan shrine in bangkok last year was..."

ouch!!hadn't heard that story yet any details or links?

Archived