Do I HAVE to buy her a gold wedding ring?

David99UK

Now that the car stuff is sorted :smirk:

A quick recap, am getting married early next month (shit, that sounds soon :shocked:) - the plan is the ceremony will be in Bangkok, she assures me (and from what I recall reading elsewhere this sounds about right) that we can do this very simply at the equivalent of a Registry Office in BKK inside a week of me arriving in Thailand. (She is a BKK born woman of 36, nominally Christian (so no Budhist temple mumbo jumbo to worry about nor trips to the Jungle village), both been around the block more than a few times (although her a bit more than me :smirk: ), although never married and with no kids, and no desire for a big bash to impress anyone - even her limited surviving family / freinds - so quite happy with not much, the important thing for her is to get me married to her. At last :o:) )

I / we am not planning on a big party or anything to impress the neighbours / family, but I am preparing to put my hand in my pocket for a few beers / a family meal at some point, but they ain't getting a free bar on Jack Daniels let alone a night at the Hilton :grin: - I figure on the sort of event of a smart suit for me, something equivalent for her whilst not being an actual wedding dress (neither Thai nor western)......No formal photographer (before or during), no flowers, no bridesmaids, no wedding cars, no slaughtered buffalo, no church, no confetti.....but if it turns out to be even less than this and is just signing a couple of papers, then I am not too concerned.

As you can see, I do not really give a shit about the "event".....but having said that I would like to "do right" by her / show I am not totally insensitive :grin: so I reckon I will need to at least buy her some sort of wedding ring.......I don't want to buy something bargain basement, but also not something that is meant to be part of her dowry / pension fund - or purely to impress the Joneses.......just does not look embarrasingly cheap.......how much in cash terms am I looking at? 5,000 / 10,000 (15,000 Baht :( )

Anything else anyone reckon I should (or could)do?.....preferably without great expense. (as indicated already I / we am not going to be living in Thailand, I do not give a shit about impressing her relatives (but no desire to be rude - but am quite happy to exploit my cultural difference if needed to decline to do / pay for stuff :smirk: ), and of course no temple stuff needed :cool: .

I already figure after the "ceremony" (or whatever it turns out to be) that me and her (and bits of her family / freinds) will end up in a restaurant that she has chosen - whether local Thai or Thai / Farang posher (within reason).......would anything be expected from me or her at a meal afterwards??......(apart from me smiling like an idiot when everyone speaks only thai :grin: - and not forgetting to pay the bill afterwards) and afterwards we retire to our hotel (I might splash out a bit on a new hotel).....therefore allowing me to ditch her family / freinds :smirk:

Next month??? fookin hell...... :crazy::crazy::)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David.....I had a cheap charlie response all ready to go but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to post it. Weddings are for the bride and groom and to make yourselves happy. Do what you both think is best and that will make your day memorable.

As far as a ring, if you're just getting a gold band, you can get one alot less expensive than 5k THB. I would look in the 2k range or even less if you're going for inexpensive. If you are buying a diamond ring as well, add another 10-15k for a lower end one.

Meal and taking care of family should be up to you to pay for. If they have to travel, I would put them in the hotel and pay for transportation to and from.

Other than that, congratulations and chok dee!!!

David.....I had a cheap charlie response all ready to go but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to post it. Weddings are for the bride and groom and to make yourselves happy. Do what you both think is best and that will make your day memorable.

As far as a ring, if you're just getting a gold band, you can get one alot less expensive than 5k THB. I would look in the 2k range or even less if you're going for inexpensive. If you are buying a diamond ring as well, add another 10-15k for a lower end one.

Meal and taking care of family should be up to you to pay for. If they have to travel, I would put them in the hotel and pay for transportation to and from.

Other than that, congratulations and chok dee!!!

Troy,

Cheers for the response, don't worry about any Cheap Charlie comments (I won't be and I will be there :) )......if she was 21 (whether BG or not)then my attitude would be different, but plenty of other things she / we / I can and will spend the money on instead of a wedding.

Family already live in BKK = no Hotel :cool:

B2k - B5k? - that's ok, actually it's less about the money itself but knowing.

My friend married recently here in BKK. Sounds like you will do the same as what they did.

Got the paperwork they needed and then I joined them when they went to the Bang Na amphur to do the "ceremony", in which they sat there and chatted with the amphur lady and signed some papers.

Not much to it.

Took 2 ~ 3 hours...faster if you provide "tea money" .

After, we went to a local outdoor bb'q place, ate, drank, listened to live music...simple but a good time for all four of us!

[color:red]Bangkoktraveler[/color]

I will confess that I have not bought any gold since around 1995(so I get a bit confused about Baht's in weight).......my first trip to Thailand when the BG in Samuii truly meant "up to you" and wanted her (long stay!) payment in gold - of course she probably pawned it straight away......but it made the transaction so much more of a B/F & G/F experiance.......I wonder what ever happened to her?.........:crazy:

Knowing me, if I see something I like I will spend a bit more, but good to have a good idea of my base figure.

[color:red]keith doug[/color]

Argos?, I could probably get away with this - describing it as something local, Farang and rare.......but she would find out eventually!

[color:red]cavanami[/color]

that sounds about what has been described to me / am after......it sounds less formal than a UK Registry office - which is fine......it's not as if any actual ceremony in Thai would be understood by me!!!

A gold wedding ring will be sold by the weight of the gold. Gold is about 11,000 baht (money) per baht (weight) at the moment. Add on a tad for "workmanship". A half baht (weight) wedding ring is reasonable, although if she has small fingers 25 satang(1/4 baht) might look Ok. so, as said 3K to 6K will get you something nice.

Don't think wedding bands are particularly traditional "thai", but they seem to have caught on (its gold, there is a surprise), and so I am sure she will be extremely happy to have one.

-j-

Archived