Do I HAVE to buy her a gold wedding ring?

David99UK

.......As far as a ring, if you're just getting a gold band, you can get one alot less expensive than 5k THB. I would look in the 2k range or even less if you're going for inexpensive.....

A wedding ring for less than the price of a nights drinking! A lot less, if it's in "the 2K range or even less". Lets see Baht 2,000 = £29. Sounds pretty stingy to me, but then as I'll never have to buy one, what do I know? :dunno:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.......As far as a ring' date=' if you're just getting a gold band, you can get one alot less expensive than 5k THB. I would look in the 2k range or even less if you're going for inexpensive.....[/quote']

A wedding ring for less than the price of a nights drinking! A lot less, if it's in "the 2K range or even less". Lets see Baht 2,000 = £29. Sounds pretty stingy to me, but then as I'll never have to buy one, what do I know? :dunno:

I agree, it's very stingy but a plain, thin gold band can be bought for less than 2k. Don't know he'll get one even at that price as the whole topic is "Do I HAVE to buy her a gold wedding ring?"

[color:red]shygye[/color]

Cheers for the heads up, but I had already heard about the Thai thing with the wedding photographer in a Studio (before? or after?) not at the wedding itself seems way too strange for me!)........solution = a digital point and squirt camera - as I am sure no problem in finding a bystander if not a family member for a snap or 2 at the Registry Office and / or the do afterwards.......in any event she has never really been one for photos (job related reasons?? :shocked: ) and has never mentioned a formal photographer.

[color:red]josh_ingu[/color]

Don't think wedding bands are particularly traditional "thai", but they seem to have caught on (its gold, there is a surprise), and so I am sure she will be extremely happy to have one.

I had an inkling that they were not "traditional", but were widely enough in use / understood not to be strange Farang only stuff. As you say, being gold probably helped the "cultural transition" :grin:.....bearing in mind the plan is that she hits the UK in due course she will "need" one, but in any event I figure she will also find one useful in Thailand to show off (not actually the ring / the gold) but also to give her an easy chance to show off the fact that she is married AND to a Mr farang.

[color:red]The_Munchmaster[/color]

A wedding ring for less than the price of a nights drinking

I hate it when folk do comparatives :(:) The answer to that probably nearer the B5/6K than the B2k, but still less than a nights drinking. far less :shocked: :grin: , in fact I am hoping that the whole marriage shebang ("do" included) will be less than some of my former drinking nights. But I will concede that I did piss a lot of money away...........

[color:red]TroyinEwa1 [/color]

Don't know he'll get one even at that price as the whole topic is "Do I HAVE to buy her a gold wedding ring?"

It wasn't meant litterally :grin: , more a comment on my plans to have a minimal sized wedding.......with associate minimal expenses :cool: .......plus a way to try and find what is vaguely "normal" or at least ball park when it comes to spending money in Thailand on wedding rings......and I don't want to go Farang style OTT on the ring for no other reason than I would later look at it and think to myself.........it was overkill and therefore tacky (or thinking that I could have spent that money more wisely in the Eden Club for an afternoon :shocked: :grin:)

Plus if she pawns it for crack I could afford to replace it for the price of LESS than a nights drinking............although whether I would is another question for another (later??!!) thread :confused:

Having gone through this recently myself, maybe I can offer some insights.

Suggest you try one of the nicer jewelry shops in MBK for the ring. It will not priced in baht like regular gold, as it will not be as pure since rings need to be a bit harder. They will have nice ones within your price range. They will engrave the inside if you want.

There is absolutely no ceremony at the amphur. There is no need for the family to even be there, just meet them for dinner in evening, which is not the same as the full blown wedding reception.

The legal part and ceremony are completely separate in Thailand (and the rest of Asia as well) and have no resemblance to the western concept. This includes the formal wedding photos, which are done in a studio completely separate from any ceremony. Royal Elizabeth Studio are very professional, but not cheap.

I'm sure you are aware of the legalities involving your embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affair before going to the amphur. Unless you want to hassle with it yourself, for 5k or so, you can get a service to take of everything. You will need to get the paper from your embassy yourself. But after that they will call and take you down to amphur and grease the way.

You probably want to dress nicely at the amphur, but a suit and tie or her wearing some sort of wedding dress is a waste. This is true of the family dinner as well. You can have someone take some pictures of the two of you outside the amphur office and at the dinner to mark the occasion.

>Suggest you try one of the nicer jewelry shops in MBK for the ring. It will not priced in baht like regular gold, as it will not be as pure since rings need to be a bit harder

This is just simply incorrect in my experience.

-j-

.....Suggest you try one of the nicer jewelry shops in MBK for the ring. It will not priced in baht like regular gold, as it will not be as pure since rings need to be a bit harder.....

Good point, I believe Thai gold is very pure, hence the very yellow colour, and therefore quite soft. Used in a ring it will easily become mishappen, particularly if you wear it while playing golf.

You probably want to dress nicely at the amphur, but a suit and tie or her wearing some sort of wedding dress is a waste. This is true of the family dinner as well. You can have someone take some pictures of the two of you outside the amphur office and at the dinner to mark the occasion.

Cheers for the first hand heads up.

I was figuring on a shirt and a jacket (with or without tie) for me.........and for her???, I am partly curious as to what she thinks would be suitable :shocked: , but in any event I figure this trip in spending some money on her wardrobe - at least enough to look presentable at the UK Embassy in due course (I am not sure if she could ever do "respectable" :smirk: - at least I hope not :grin: ).

Anyone know if Tesco's have a sale on next month? :grin: :grin:

35 days till touch down........yikes :shocked::crazy: :grin: :cool:

Archived