Bring software into U.S. form Thailand

Big_Boy

1. Buy external harddrive

2. Read up on TrueCrypt

3. Partition & encrypt, leave some innocent files in the visible part called 'backup-04-2007.dat' or whatever.

Bring to USA.

Also works great for naughty shots & vids. Don't leave those on your camera, and then WIPE the camera memory card. (Google up 'eraser')

DVD/CD sniffing dogs?

A few years ago I went to board a plane in LAX that was going to Taipei. On the walkway from the waiting area to the plane was a policeman with a dog. I saw the dog and backed away and said to the policeman "I have allergies to dogs!" The policeman backed away and since then, I never have seen a dog in that area again. Ohhhh, by the way, I do not have allergies to dogs.

As for bringing DVDs/CDs back from Thailand, I have not had any problems. But then, if I do get caught, I realize there can be some consequences.

if you encrypt a file and refuse to open it they can take your computer :(

there have been many cases in the last few years where laptops have been grabbed and not returned for months,

You are not in the USA until you clear customs and immigration, so you do not have the same rights.

Not sure what I would do in this case ...

OC

SD...

thanks for the link....BUT if they really want to open it they have all the time in the world,

they just take your computer and give it back "sometimes"

I believe the story was in the Wall street Joernal and it said many companies do not allow their employees to take laptops on international trips.

We live in a "you are guilty" society now , war on terror is really war on your freedoms :(

OC

I understand, but I would think you have a strong case for harassment etc. if you open the encrypted file as requested and there is no contraband there. They do not need to know, nor can they prove, that there is a hidden encrypted file within the encrypted file you open for them.

Should be fine unless you are or look like Osama bin Laden.

Regards,

SD

As OCringo mentioned, you are not in the good old USA when in customs. If they decide to want to check a person's notebook, they can. If the files are encrypted, they can ask for the files to be unencrypted. If a person refuses, the person can get arrested for failure to comply.

Personally, I think Homeland Security has made agreements with every encryting company so that they now possess tools that can unencrypt almost, if not, everything. Why would anybody want to put themselves into this position?

Archived