Diplomat's blog backfires over sex talk

Fidel

Diplomat's blog backfires over sex talk

by AIDAN RADNEDGE - Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A British diplomat abroad has become embroiled in a sex scandal after his attempts at blogging backfired.

Ian Proud has been accused of being a regular in Bangkok's red-light district - and of being part of a British Embassy elite sipping gin-and-tonics while locals struggle and starve.

Mr Proud had gone online to write a five-day farewell to Thailand, as he prepares to leave the British Embassy in Bangkok.

But his blog entries for Thai newspaper The Nation have been hijacked by angry - and mischievous - readers.

Many claimed to recognise Mr Proud from his photos on the blog, and left comments detailing his trips to the notorious Soi Cowboy district.

One reader, Simon Peltier, wrote: 'I saw him walking arm-in-arm with a girl that could only be described as a "two-dollar whore".

'I bet that girl got a visa no problem.'

Another, Edwardio Shanks, said: 'I recall going to the embassy once and that same night I was down on Cowboy and who did I bump into? Yes, it was Ian.'

Mr Proud had been invited to contribute a blog by his friend Tulsathit Tuptim, editor of the English-language newspaper.

Subjects covered included the British response to the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, bird flu, Sars - as well as dinner parties and Bangkok culture.

But the diplomat now appears to be ruing his decision to go public.

Mr Proud, originally from Box Hill, Surrey, said: 'It seemed like a good idea at the time.

'What have I gotten myself into?'

Other postings on the site claimed to be from Mr Pound himself, including the admission: 'Yes, I did go with prostitutes during my tenure with the Briyish [sic] Embassy, but that does not make me a bad person.'

But Mr Proud denied responsibility, insisting: 'My syntax is a lot better than that for a start.'

He acknowledged he knew the red-light districts, but did not visit 'on a regular basis'.

He added: 'I'm not going to complain that I've never been there.

'But at the same time, the suggestion that I'm some sort of upholder of the sex trade in Bangkok... It's pathetic, frankly.'

Other comments claimed diplomats were simply 'sitting around the Embassy drinking G and Ts all day' and treating Thai citizens 'like dirt'.

But other readers wished Mr Proud well - and urged him to stop blogging immediately, to try to save some dignity.

In an online response to his critics, Mr Proud later described the 'aggressive response' as 'quite astounding'.

Mr Proud, head of the Embassy's political division, is due to complete his four-year posting in Thailand next month.

Source

Archived